Thread: created fat 32 partition: unable to write to it in Knoppix

created fat 32 partition: unable to write to it in Knoppix

I thought for sure that this would solve the problem of not being able to write to ntfs partitions since my main system is windows xp. However no matter what I do, I am unable to write to a one gigabyte fat 32 partition that I created specifically to save data while in Knoppix. I tried saving it using K and also using commands e.g. cp/home/knoppix/test.txt /mnt/hdc7
    I keep getting the same errors that I got before I created this fat 32 file system. I made sure that I was root and also that all the file permissions were set to read write for owner,group, and user so I cannot understand why I am getting these very same error messages. some say that the file system is read only, which is not true. Others say the file that I am saving does not exist. I checked the forum over and maybe I am missing something, but I was not able to find help for this particular problem. The basic fix is to create a fat partition which is what I did.

I am new to Knoppix and really like the idea of it, but it is very limited if I cannot write to any partition at all while in Knoppix.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Someone else must have had this very same problem.

Thanks so much

Administrator Site Admin-

Re: created fat 32 partition: unable to write to it in Knopp

Quote Originally Posted by bighero
    I thought for sure that this would solve the problem of not being able to write to ntfs partitions since my main system is windows xp. However no matter what I do, I am unable to write to a one gigabyte fat 32 partition that I created specifically to save data while in Knoppix....
    I'm not quite sure why you're having problems. I got a notebook that came with the Microsoft tax and XP. Almost the first thing I did was resize the NTFS partition so that I would have some space in a FAT partition (about half the hard drive, although if I was smarter it would have been less). Writing to it with Knoppix has worked fine for me.

Do you realise that, even for FAT partitions, Knoppix defaults mounting of the partition to read-only? You can write to the FAT partition, but you have to explicitly make it writeable? This can be done with he mount command (see man mount from a shell) or from the desktop icon for that pratition (right click on the partition icon and use the actions .... submenu).

unable to write to fat 32 partition-enabling Lan

I have to plead ignorance. I finally realized the problem. I was using K to change the file permissions to read write, but neglected to click the tab" device". When I did, I noticed the check box checked that said read only so I just unchecked it and now all is well. i am ashamed to mention this since it is so obvious, but I totally missed it. I am sure that I could have also done this with a command.

My next ambition is to get the lan to work. K has a few programs but they ask for the root password which as I understand there is none in Knoppix. Any advice on this would be helpful and greatly appreciated.