Hi, everybody! I am trying to boot from cd (v3.9) on a hp pavilion 520n with an old compaq presario 1425 monitor. I have tried various cheatcodes such as:
boot: knoppix screen=800x600 ->because this made v3.7 work on this computer.
boot: knoppix vsync=60 ->and 65
boot: knoppix xvrefresh=65
boot: knoppix vga=normal
boot: fb800x600
And various combinations of these codes.
It seems that no matter what I do, after the hardware check the KDE comes up like static on a television (somewhat, because there are colors and I guess I can make out a desktop background. When it is trying to boot to gui mode from hardware-check (text) mode it says:"Starting X11...." and it flashes a black screen. It proceeds to say "Retrying with Server Xfree86(vesa)..." and flashes a black screen, and if I use "boot: fb800x600" it will continue after those two previous messages and say "Retrying with Server Xfree86(fbdev)...", say it failed, and give me a shell prompt. I know it is a display problem, but I just can't seem to get it to boot right.
I have searched the forum and every answer I saw I had already tried. I am at a loss of ideas right now, so any help is appreciated (*any*) and THANK YOU for your time.

P.S.>I am having the same exact problem on this computer with v3.8.2, but v3.7 works fine if I use the cheatcode "knoppix screen=800x600".

P.S.S>If anyone knows a post that might help (I probably looked at it, but just tell me) please give me the link.