Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem Restoring Settings

Junior Member registered user

Problem Restoring Settings

I'm attempting to store and later recover my printer settings. I've used KNOPPIX->Configure->Save KNOPPIX configuration and saved the information on a floppy disk. This puts configs.tbz and knoppix.sh on the disk. Upon completion of this write, there is a message saying that I can reinstall these files by using the cheat codes: "knoppix myconfig=/mnt/auto/floppy" or "knoppix myconfig=scan". However, when I reboot, the first cheat code causes the system to hang up. There is an error message to the effect that "mnt" or whatever, isn't open. With the second code, the load continues, but the previous configuration of the printer isn't loaded. When I use either of these cheat codes, the light on the floppy drive comes on indicating that it's trying to read the floppy.

As a newbie, I haven't a clue as to what to do now. Please help!

Senior Member registered user
    I'm having exactly the same problem with knoppix 3.8.2. Looking at the cheat code list it says there to use the boot command:

knoppix floppyconfig

I tried that and got exactly the same results. This was disconcerting since I had spent a lot of time configuring things the way that I liked them.

I reconfigured my system and this time I saved my configuration info to /dev/hda2. When I rebooted I used the command:

knoppix myconfig=scan

That worked and I'm glad. However saving to and restoring from floppies should work also.

..., there is a message saying that I can reinstall these files by using the cheat codes: "knoppix myconfig=/mnt/auto/floppy....
    um have you mounted the floppy yet, by typeing...

Code:
    mnt /mnt/floppy/
    , or
    Code:
    mnt /dev/fd0/
    <-the /dev/fd0, works for me, try that one first...

you cant acess a disk without mounting it...

chris-harry, I don't think that you can do any mounting at this point in time. The system hasn't even booted up yet. In the scenario we're describing you are sitting at the boot prompt and you get to type in:

knoppix followed by your cheat codes.

Granted you cannot typically access a device before mounting same, but
    when I type:

boot: knoppix myconfig=scan

Knoppix in its wisdom and as part of the startup goes to my hda2 hard drive and accesses the configuration stuff that I had saved there.

Junior Member registered user
    chris-harry - Many thanks I got it to work. I had a few problems but worked them out by trial and error. As a Linux nubie, I didn't know where to enter the code you suggested. I found that if I enter "knoppix myconfig=scan" at the boot prompt, let the program install itself, then go to the terminal and enter "/mnt/floppy/" it will read and install my printer settings. You recommended using "mnt /mnt/floppy" but that didn't work for me. Eliminating the first "mnt" solved the problem.

Thanks again! If you have any further comments/suggestions, I'd be glad to hear them.

Member registered user
    this is too funny;
    I can't even get knoppix to write to or even format the floppy....
    but like turbine says I use this a t boot time (kernel 2.6) knoppix26 myconf=/mnt/hda8 and it loads all my saved settings from my G:\ partition on my HDD.

Some comments I hope may be useful:
    1.) Turbine says in the Jun 08 post "I saved my configuration info to /dev/hda2 When I rebooted I used the command:
    knoppix myconfig=scan" In my case, I saved the configuration to a 1.44 MB floppy which then contains configs.tbz and knoppix.sh. I then exited Knoppix and copied configs.tbz and knoppix.sh from the floppy to my hard drive C:\ in Windows 2000. I then rebooted knoppix 3.9 using F3 to enter the cheat code knoppix myconfig=scan
    As turbine says, this works. I had originally configured the internet dial up application KPPP and the Thunderbird email client
    to go to my ISP account. These appear under Recently used applications in the K menu. Before I could dial up, however, I found that I still had to let Knoppix know about my modem by going to Knoppix->/dev/modem/ to create the /dev/modem/link. In other words, this part of the configuration that I setup before saving apparently did not get restored although the dial up information and email settings did get restored.
    2.) When using KPPP to dial my ISP the first attempt most often produces the error message: "The pppd daemon died unexpectedly exit status 16 see man ppd or Knoppix FAQ on %1" However, the second attempt seems to connect always.
    I think that this is probably a timing issue as I am using a very old machine with a 28.8K internal modem card.
    3.) With regard to restoring the configuration files from the previously created floppy, like others, I found that the procedures presented in Kyle Rankin's book "Knoppix Hacks" and "Knoppix Pocket Reference" do not work and generated different error messages depending on which cheat code I tried to use including the following exotic error message that I have not seen mentioned on this board: "File system not autodetected trying to mount /dev/fd0 with AES256 encrytion"
    The system then asks for a password which must be 20 characters long. Entering an arbitrary 20 character string produces the following message: "iOCT1: LOOP_CLR_FD: Device or Resource is Busy You must specify system type"
    It then asks for a password again. This put me in an endless loop from which I could not exit, except by powering down the computer.

I tried to use including the following exotic error message that I have not seen mentioned on this board: "File system not autodetected trying to mount /dev/fd0 with AES256 encrytion"
    The system then asks for a password which must be 20 characters long. Entering an arbitrary 20 character string produces the following message: "iOCT1: LOOP_CLR_FD: Device or Resource is Busy You must specify system type"
    It then asks for a password again. This put me in an endless loop from which I could not exit, except by powering down the computer.
    Exactly! I wonder why this is not discussed on this board? I can save configuration to hard drive, no problem. But if I save to floppy and then use that floppy at boot time with proper cheat code, I get the stuff you posted. I have read another post which says the same thing. But then no expert tries it, verifies it, and tells us what to do about it!

Quote Originally Posted by oddgeezer
    I tried to use including the following exotic error message that I have not seen mentioned on this board: "File system not autodetected trying to mount /dev/fd0 with AES256 encrytion"
    Exactly! I wonder why this is not discussed on this board? I can save configuration to hard drive, no problem. But if I save to floppy and then use that floppy at boot time with proper cheat code, I get the stuff you posted. I have read another post which says the same thing. But then no expert tries it, verifies it, and tells us what to do about it!
    I´ve the same problem.
    I tried and I tried etc.........
    There must be a solution!
    Please can anyone be so kind to solve this?!

Greatings,

Jos

Hot to do blind reboot with myconfig=scan

So,

after one has succesfully saved the Configuration to the Persistent directory, what should be done in order to do a blind reboot. You say that we need to type myconfig=scan or better myconfig=/dev/hda?. What if we need to do unattentend reboot ?

Nasos

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast