Please can someone test this, and fix any error you find - perhaps this can later be used at the hardware FAQ of knopper.net. Thanks!

I wanted to browse the internet while running KNOPPIX CD, and I was disappointed by not having a real modem. Since I have previously installed linux drivers for lucent-based winmodems (ltmodem) in HD-based linux installations (Mandrake, Conectiva), sometimes successfully, sometimes not, I developed a small guide to the subject:

INSTALLING LUCENT-BASED WINMODEM DRIVERS IN KNOPPIX

1. PREPARE YOUR BIOS
- Plug-and-Play OS = NO
- Turn on AC97 onboard modem controller (if availble)

2. Download ltmodem driver source to your windows partition or to a floppy disk

http://www.linmodems.org
(Lucent/AGERE resources, tar.gz file).

3. Boot knoppix

4. cd /tmp

5. tar -zxvf path-to-the-modem-driver-sources.tar.gz

6. cd newly_created_directory

7. ./build_module

8. Install will not work because depmod and install complain of read-only filesystem (they can't save modules to /lib/modules/2.4.20-xfs). Instead do:

9. cd source
then save lt_modem.o and lt_serial.o to the floppy disk (or vfat partition).

10. Create the following script using a plain text editor (save it to the floppy disk too, with a suggestive name like "modem.sh"; if you save it to another directory, adjust the second line to reflect the right location). Don't forget to make the script executable. For example, if you save it as modem.sh, then run "chmod +x modem.sh", or right-click the file in Konqueror, choose Properties, Permissions, and add "Exec" permissions to the file:

#!/bin/bash
cd /mnt/floppy
mknod /dev/ttyLT0 c 62 64
chmod a+rw /dev/ttyLT0
ln -sf /dev/ttyLT0 /dev/modem
insmod -f lt_modem.o
insmod -f lt_serial.o

11. Start kppp then -> Configure -> Talk to modem.

12. If the previous option works, just add a new dial-up account.

13. don't forget to save your config to another floppy, so you keep the account info for next boot...

14. Should the insmod program complain that gcc 2.95 should have been used instead, "cd" to the "source" directory and recompile the drivers, but after the "./configure" and before the "make" steps edit the Makefile and replace "gcc" with "gcc-2.95"

Andreas