Thread: KNOPPIX IMAGE INSIDE WINDOWS NTFS PARTITION

Member registered user

KNOPPIX IMAGE INSIDE WINDOWS NTFS PARTITION

Hi all, I was searching for Knoppix inside coLinux and i came across a website, http://unit.aist.go.jp/itri/knoppix/.../index-en.html. it has information about how cygwin, colinux and knoppix can co-exist while windows is running. however, in an attempt to get their version of the Knoppix i bumped off into their file server and instead, got a different compilation of files that REALLY caught my attention from then on... inside ftp://unit.aist.go.jp/it/knoppix/iso/ I found an ISO image, knoppix2win-20040816-20040914.zip that suited my need. what it has is just a GRUB software, and a KNOPPIX image file that can be booted as is (no further installation or partition allocation needed). I'm using it in my office and i find it amusing that an image file would be so useful (except that i can't find a 3270 terminal emulator for mainframe access yet) and bootable. and when boss comes over, i just need 10 secs for it to reboot it properly back to windows (or the restart button's a bit faster and more dangerous)

my questions are:
    1) is there anyone that knows if there are any updated versions of this? the website does not have any additional info about updates, and i searched for any similar files with the same ftp server/website coming up in the results. unless i can undersatand japanese, google can only find the same website for an english site for that file.
    also,
    2) does anyone have any idea how we can make an updated version of this? i'm trying to check out other knoppix ISOs, however, the closest i ever got to this was an ISO with MkImage.exe(or some filename very close to that), i double-clicked the file, and i saw a slider from 100MB to about 2gb with language of which is in german.

I want to like the package of knoppix2win, however it feels weird deep inside my heart not to have somehow a "latest version". I hope i'm making sense to someone out there. I thank you if i do. Peace Knoppix!

Moderator Moderator

Re: KNOPPIX IMAGE INSIDE WINDOWS NTFS PARTITION

Quote Originally Posted by CytoTech
    ...just a GRUB software, and a KNOPPIX image file that can be booted as is (no further installation or partition allocation needed). my question is, is there anyone that knows if there are any updated versions of this? ...
    I am not sure this is what you are looking for, but have a look at this and find out how to boot knoppix from the iso file being on a single nfs partition, but it could be a fat16/32, ext2/3 partition or a usb dongle as well. I basically have updated what the japanese team have done to the latest grub and knoppix releases. Hope this help.
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...1796&start=270
    http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Win_Partition
    Best Regards, Gilles

Member registered user

Re: KNOPPIX IMAGE INSIDE WINDOWS NTFS PARTITION

Quote Originally Posted by ruymbeke
    I basically have updated what the japanese team have done to the latest grub and knoppix releases. Hope this help.
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...1796&start=270
    http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Win_Partition
    Best Regards, Gilles

hey, u guys are quite fast at replies. i'm still at home, so i'll try this at work... i've just checked the websites, nice info. that can be a good starter. thanks and more power to you guys! you'll here from me more often.

Member registered user
    Okay, so I am running smoOthly with knoppix and a bunch of other cheatcodes to add to sugar-coat knoppix for my needs. i just posted a new topic on the same forum for my other issues. I'm just wondering if this strategy from http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Win_Partition would be possible to other linux distros as well, or do i need new set of files (GRUB, etc.) and config? i mean, can i just put in the iso of another linux live cd distro, add some cheatcodes to the menu.lst of GRUB and restart?

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by CytoTech
    Okay, so I am running smoOthly with knoppix and a bunch of other cheatcodes to add to sugar-coat knoppix for my needs. i just posted a new topic on the same forum for my other issues. I'm just wondering if this strategy from http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Win_Partition would be possible to other linux distros as well, or do i need new set of files (GRUB, etc.) and config? i mean, can i just put in the iso of another linux live cd distro, add some cheatcodes to the menu.lst of GRUB and restart?
    The kernel drivers inside the initrd_ntfs need to match the kernel and the kernel drivers inside the knoppix iso. The linuxrc boot script inside the initrd_ntfs needs to support the "other" linux. The same Grub can be used for all but the menu.lst will most likely need to be customized. It is a case to case situation. Just try it. If it is close enough, it will work. Regards, Gilles

Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by ruymbeke
    The kernel drivers inside the initrd_ntfs need to match the kernel and the kernel drivers inside the knoppix iso. The linuxrc boot script inside the initrd_ntfs needs to support the "other" linux. The same Grub can be used for all but the menu.lst will most likely need to be customized. It is a case to case situation. Just try it. If it is close enough, it will work. Regards, Gilles
    Okay, I think i got Phl*k linux to run and boot basically to its gui, using the kernel and initrd inside its own iso file. however, i can't do anything with it since it had lots of errors upon bootup; i can't even restart properly. it is a derivative of knoppix or debian so i just tried to copy the other cheatcodes. i guess my main problem is to get it to access ntfs (it doesn't use the minirt_ntfs.gz file). and i think i just have to keep my mouth shut for the moment and be contented with knoppix ISOs. *peace* Thanks anyway ruymbeke for your help!