Howdy ...

I'm curious about the way the directory structure of the Knoppix 4.0.1 LiveCD appears to be, once up and running.

I got the the dvd via a Linux magazine and have had no problems getting it to run. It even almost got my screen resolution correct on the first try. Just saving a personal config to the hd, with my existing XF86Config-4 file included, along with a few other personal configs/edits and all my usual issues were solved. Which mainly always involve font sizes (grin).

Remastering and the like is quite new to me, but i am experimenting and have cached quite a few files from the dvd forum section for later reading, but my trick in the past, specifically v3.3, was to do a manual copy of a running LiveCD to hd using "tar". Now i'm using "rsync" locally which works much more efficiently.

So, having just rsynced the whole running instance over to a 20 GB partition, with heaps of space left on the partition ... iv'e been wondering about the relationship between ...

/KNOPPIX
and
/UNIONFS

They seem to just repeat themselves.

Even though the output from "free" suggests that /KNOPPIX mounted on /dev/cloop used 5258024 1k blocks with 0% available and /UNIONFS mounted on /UNIONFS used 7915456 1k blocks with 802288 available.

Most all the main "root" directories symlink upto the "UNIONFS" mount, with "home" and "tmp" symlinking upto the in memory ramdisk "/ramdisk".

That all makes sense to me, but my question is ... what part does the /KNOPPIX mount play here. Is the /UNIONFS just a toggle of the /KNOPPIX mount after boot, with the later just remaining.

I'm planing on attempting to do some serious remastering with this image, especially as the initial success i had booting it up was impressive. I hope to be able to introduce my niece (13y), and nephew (10y) to a good, none-dumbed down, windowsy Linux with this and figure it will all work fine. I'm hoping to reformat it using the "squashfs" instead of "cloop" with a number of boot labels specific for there machines. So it will all just work for them with no mucking about.

I still need to look over all this quite a lot i know, but the curiousness of the KNOPPIX mount, which doesn't seem to be linked to the rest of the mounts is a bit of a "scratch the head" thing at the moment .

Possibly a brain-dead question i suppose, but i figured there may, or must, be some straight forward reason for this that i may be missing.

I was going to post this in the DVD forum but it appears to be "locked" ???. Why is that ?

All Feed Back Appreciated, of course ...

jm

edit: couple of spell edits