Quote Originally Posted by tacobueno
Ok, as far as the settings I put in to the manual configuration I enter in:
IP 192.168.0.(something between 2 and 254 tried both inside and outside the predefined dhcp range though I'm fairly certain that doesnt even matter)
mask 255.255.255.0 (which is what the router settings say)
gateway 192.168.0.1 (again router settings)
broadcast address 192.168.0.255 (is correct from what I have read online about this address)
and nameservers i have tried leaving blank or putting the gateway address. (dont have anything set up to need this)
All info here looks right except leaving nameserver blank. You do need it, at least if you ever use a browser or anything else with a URL (like e-mail without an IP address of the mail server, FTP sites, news servers and so on). Many routers will let you put in their own address (the gateway address as you called it in this case, 192.168.0.1) but I'm not 100% certain that your router does. You should be able to get what this should be set to either from the routers status pages or right from your ISP (just ask the support person what DNS setting to use; don't mention Linux or Knoppix, that often scares them and they say they don't support Linux and hang up as fast as they can).

Hint: If you can't log into the router's own setup page from Konquror (192.168.0.1 in your case) then the DNS setting isn't your only issue. If you can log into that page and you still find that you can't surf the web then the DNS setting is likely the issue.