Thread: At Last

At Last

I'm not exactly "new" to linux based OSs but have finally found what I needed in knoppix. Back in the day I was running winxp and somehow (imagine this) the system crashed . I tried repairing , etc. , etc. , but to no avail. Because I was a little lazy at the time I didn't back up any of my files sooooo , I was in a quandry as to reinstall windows or try something else. Needless to say , that HD was put aside as is and a new one purchased which I ended up putting lindows on . Have been trying out different forms of linux as of late and decided to try knoppix . Read up a little and found I might be able to rescue my files from my old win HD . Slapped in the old HD and the knoppix cd and lo and behold , there were my files!!!! I was able to burn a few cds worth of files which I tried on another of my pcs and was happy to see that I got back what I thought I had permanently lost ( wife is extremely happy to know we got back all our daughters and travel pics , 2500 of em ) . Been so happy with knoppix that 2 of my 4 pcs are running it exclusively now. So long M$ and hello to the freedom and stability I found with Knoppix .

Senior Member registered user
    Please keep in mind that Knoppix is not designed to be run as a full-time operating system. If you are pleased with Knoppix, you should install Debian permanently. Knoppix is not stable for long-term installations because it cannot be universally upgraded which is what protects you from vulnerabilities and gets rid of bugs.
    If you're never connected to the internet, Knoppix HDD install is OK. But if you're going to use the system while connected to the internet, you should be using a distro that can be upgraded.
    Other than that, congratulations and welcome to the Linux community!

Sorry if i wasn't clear , the 2 pcs that are running knoppix are only running off of the cd . I (and my wife ) use them to surf the net or do odd chores while the others are tied up or taken apart for upgrdes lol . I generally multitask my pcs , 1 for downloading , 1 for games , etc. . It's not unusual for all 4 pcs to be going at the same time .