Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Desparately seeking CDRW / DVD

Senior Member registered user

Desparately seeking CDRW / DVD

I have successfully installed Knoppix 3.2, and used mkdesktophdicons to find my harddrives, but I cannot find my cdrw/dvd or my dvd player (I have two).
    I don't think there is a hardware problem, as the cd player will play music cds from at least one of them, and some command or other I was messing with tolkd me that they are both there:
    scsibus 0
    0,0,0 0) RW/DVD
    0,1,0 1) DVDROM

SCSIbus 1
    1,0,0 100) Floppy

How to I access these from the desktop, and ideally put icons to them on the desktop?
    Thanks

Before you ran mkdesktophdicons did you do "rebuildfstab -r" as root? Until recently I thought that this would get the icons back on the desktop successfully. In fact it does put the icons there, but getting them to work actually requires a little more effort. Here's what you need to do. Assuming you have done what's mentioned above ("rebuildfstab -r" as root and "mkdesktophdicons" as a normal user) then you need to do the following:

First you must open /etc/fstab in a text editor (as root). You can open a shell, log in as root, and type the following: kedit /etc/fstab (I assume that as a newbie you don't want to use vi so kedit will probably work best).

You should see a line like this in fstab:
    /dev/cdrom /cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0

If this line has a # mark in front of it, then you should delete it.

You should really change the mount point for your cd. It should be listed in fstab as mounted at /cdrom. Change that to /mnt/cdrom.

Save your changes.

Exit the editor.

From the root shell type this: "cd /mnt" and then "mkdir /cdrom" (edit: this is wrong as indicated by the error message below! sorry. after you cd into /mnt you should just type "mkdir cdrom")

We are almost done.

Go to your desktop.

Remove the icon that should have been made when you ran mkdesktophdicons.

Right click on the destkop and selcet "Create New" and then "CD/DVD-ROM Device"

Select the "Device" tab at the top.

From the pull down menu select your CD/DVD device (in the case above it would be /dev/cdrom.

Click "Ok" at the bottom of window and then your icon should be on the desktop and working.

If you want, you can also delete the cdrom directory from / (root directory).

Let us know if there are problems.

yep, I did run rebuildfstab -r as boot, although I don't understand what that does...

I opened /etc/fstab as root.

The line (after I added /mnt) reads:
    /dev/cdrom /mnt iso9600 defaults, ro, user, noexec, noauto 0 0

There is no #

I type cd /mnt, fine, then mkdir /cdrom, and get [mkdir: cannot create directory '/cdrom': File exists]

I delete all of the cd rom icons from the desktop (they don't work anyway)
    Go to create new cd/dvd. select device, and choose either
    /dev/cdrom (/mnt/cdrom)
    or /dev/sda (/mnt/sda)

When I click on the new icon I get Error - KDesktop
    Could not mount device.
    The reported error was:
    mount: mount point /mnt/cdrom does not exist

There is a cd in each drive.

When I select sda, the disc spins, and opens, but all of the dirs and files are random nonsense (not even alphanumerics, they are little squares and foreign chars), and don't seem to bear any reselmblance to the read file contents.

Any thoughts?
    Thanks a lot!

I'm really sorry. I made a mistake in what I told you above (I edited it).

If you just become root and do this: "mkdir /mnt/cdrom", it should work (I posted above to cd into /mnt first, but that isn't necessary - just as long as you specify the full path which in this case is /mnt/cdrom.) You still need to make the desktop icon as stated above, but when you do it should work.

That's the puppy! I have my CDRW/DVD drive working fine now, thanks!
    How do I get my second cd / dvd drive to be recognised, and how do I distinguish the two?
    Thanks for the help,

Also where do I find this using knoqueror?

Quote Originally Posted by Tortoise
    That's the puppy! I have my CDRW/DVD drive working fine now, thanks!
    How do I get my second cd / dvd drive to be recognised, and how do I distinguish the two?
    Thanks for the help,
    Make a directory /mnt/dvd and use that for the mount point and name the icon for the desktop DVD. Also check the entry in the fstab for the drive.
    [edit]
    In the location bar in Konqueror just enter /mnt/cdrom as you are typing you will see a partial completion use the arrow to select if you wish.
    [/edit]

Sorry, I don't see an entry in fstab - how do I put one in, I mean how do I know which params to use?
    Thanks

Just make it the same as your other one except change the /dev/hd? and the /mnt/cdrom to /mnt/dvd if that is the mount point you created.

Thanks - now they both (the new one and the one that previously pointed to my cdrw) point to my dvd drive...
    I know I'm doing something wrong...
    Thanks for your patience...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast