Hello to all...

My machine: Homebuild, 1gig RAM, 160gig HD, AMD pc2700 proc/2.17GHz. Runs fast and perfect. Running XP Pro/SP2, harddrive formatted in NTFS.

Problem: my 2nd slave storage drive (160gig Seagate) crashed and corrupted. It mechanically runs and I can see the data on it but it cannot be accessed through Explore. This data is video mpegs and Pinnacle authored videos. Most files around 1.5 to 2 gigs.

This problem I am posting about happens both in Knoppix 5.0 and 5.1. I can see the data on the problem drive; I pulled an old Maxtor 40gig drive out of a different unit, set a single partition for the entire drive and formatted in FAT32. I managed to pull about 20 of the 40 gigs of files off of the corrupted drive. It "ran out of space" couple of times but I skipped those files and continued. So I got about 20 of the 41 gigs saved and copied to the FAT32 drive.

Now, when I attempt to drag & drop, I notice that the download speed starts out high MB/second, then steadily drops unit it errors-out with the "not enough space" message.

I tried burning separate files to DVD both as data CD and as image, but Knoppix always will not recognize the blank DVD
disk in the drive. Always asks something about "please insert a blank CD".

Can anyone give me a clue what the problem is here so I can get the remaining 21 gigs of data off the corrupted drive? I am willing to burn to multiple DVDs, or drag & drop. Anything.

Thanks!