Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Knoppix 6.0.1 Adrianne free

Quote Originally Posted by turbine
    Quote Originally Posted by mikekgr
    @turbine: why?
    At that point I gave up and tossed the cd into the circular file.
    My Knoppix 6.0.0 disc ended up in the trash. I still use 5.3.1 DVD/5.1.1 CD now. I'm going to download 6.0.1 (no Adrianne) and try it and hope that things got firmed up a bit.

I was concerned about the lack of previously included software and the catering to a vast minority of users.

I would also like to more transparency in development/release process produced on a website (similar to how FreeBSD does it, so you know where the project is) and releasing of Knoppix CD and DVD at the same time.

Also, all cheat codes and boot modes from previous versions should work where possible.

Member registered user
    I like 6.01, on first contact. Especially the easy wireless connection. Thanks, Klaus.

I suppose there will eventually be a DVD. I very much like the development tools plus scientific software plus diagnostics on the 5.3.1 DVD. Meanwhile, what is the limit of what I could install with synaptic when writing exclusively to an external USB drive? Physical memory plus swap?

Administrator Site Admin-
    As first reported by new user cpm, the md5 checksum (at least for the English edition) is incorrect. This is seen both in mirror downloads and the torrent files. The actual md5 checksum for the EN ISO is apparently
    d642d524dd2187834a418710001bbf82
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

Senior Member registered user
    is there a changelog for what has changed between 6.0 and 6.0.1 ?

I think Knoppix Adrianne 6-01 is a beautiful new concept.

Instead of using a cd, it is very easy to load theentire Knoppix system unto a 6-8 GB Pendrive.
    If you don't like Adrianne telling you what to do the just type knoppix at the boot screen

After that you can just walk about with Knoppixt on your key chain and if you later want to add KDE and Gnome, 6-8 GB of USB drive is more than enough.
    The Pendrive concept also means you can more easily save personal files and update system files than on a CD.

It does cost a bit more ,admittedly, to have a Knoppix pendrive in your pocket rather than a CD.
    But, I guess in a few years even 20GB Pendrives will be really cheap.

Rubyxx

On second thoughts, Knoppix 6.01 on flash drive has a # of issues, firstly it doesn't have the normal /home /user /etc /bin /boot folders so it is hard to install programs that are outside the packages
    Secondly it needs a few tries to read a DVD or CD. Thirdly, and probably most important of all, Adriane email and sms don't work for reason #1. Its a shame really because I really love the knoppix on a
    flashdrive concept. I hope they make it work

Member registered user
    Although gcc is present in 6.01, neither make nor configure seems to be installed. They cannot be found in synaptic, either.

Junior Member registered user

Things I like about 6.01

Since there's been so many negative things about 6.01, I thought I'd post on some of the things that are cool so other people might take the time to check it out.

1. No KDE 4.0

I've been using a Mandriva/Knoppix hybrid DVD for Chinese users called B2D that came with KDE 4.0 and it totally blows. I have no idea what they were thinking with the new layout. It's really a step backwards in terms of usablility. I felt like they had a pretty good thing going with KDE 3.0 and they decided to completely screw it up. So, Knoppix 6.01 moved to LXDE. I'm not sure I'm a huge fan of this either but it is snappy and fairly intuitive. One question I have about LXDE besides the problem of the LXTerminal and the MC keybindings I mentioned in the Networking Forum is how to access the virtual desktops. I can see that there are four virtual desktops open by right-clicking an application icon but is there a hotkey combination to get to them?

2. IceWeasel 3.06

Finally, a LiveCD with a relatively recent browser. It was such a bummer being left out of the latest browsers. The rendering looks great except I do have a bit of a problem with what appears to be broken unicode support. I can't see any Chinese no matter what settings I use which is a bit of a disappointment, but hey this is supposed to be a postive post so I'll save that for another thread.

3. Elinks works great with Gmail.

This isn't really new as it worked before, but it looks cleaner to me for some reason. It really saved my ass to because I made the stupid decision to edit a big file in OpenOffice on a machine with no local storage and no samba and apparently not even FTP and then IceWeasel kept crashing as I logged into Gmail but I was able to get it out with Elinks which handled a paste straight from OpenOffice. Slick stuff.

4. OpenOffice looks great and is fast.

I'm not typically a big OpenOffice user, but I rely on it occasionally and I was surprised to see how fast it started and the latest version looked and responded better than I remember previous releases. If it was up to me though, this would be optional because some other stuff like samba seems more essential. I'd even put Wine before OO. Let the whiners use vi.

5. Gmplayer

Again, this is not new, but it's good to see Mplayer is in the mix. No XMMS though?

6. For those worried about K3B, there's genisoimage and growisofs which works even better in my opinon although I'm simply mouthing off on this point because I haven't actually tried them with 6.01 as this machine has no burner. But I looked and they seem to be there.

The biggest down sides I'm seeing so far is the apparent lack of basic networks tools like Samba or even FTP (tell me I'm wrong here, please) and the previous Knoppix Wine installations were so good I got sort of hooked on them and I was quite disappointed to see that get left out.

I had hoped to do a USB drive install as that seems to be hinted at as the way to go, so I picked up a drive this week and unfortunately after I got home it wouldn't mount. I'm not blaming that on 6.01 though because I couldn't mount it on other machines either.

Senior Member registered user

If you just can't wait...

Since CeBit's over, a new version of Knoppix can't be far behind. A torrent for the Knoppix 6.1 DVD, with KDE 4.2 and GNOME 2.22 as well as LXDE, and every application under the sun (with the exception of a GUI-based CD/DVD burning application) is already available on a certain (in)famous Swedish web site.

So those who aren't interested in the ADRIANE project can still have their favorite Swiss Army knife Live CD.

(XMMS hasn't been in Debian for a while now. It looks like Audacious replaced it.)

<edit> That's nifty, you can install current NVIDIA drivers the "Debian way" while running from the live DVD.

Member registered user

Re: If you just can't wait...

Quote Originally Posted by eco2geek
    A torrent for the Knoppix 6.1 DVD, with KDE 4.2 and GNOME 2.22 as well as LXDE, and every application under the sun (with the exception of a GUI-based CD/DVD burning application) is already available on a certain (in)famous Swedish web site.
    Not in the form of an iso, but of 31 (encrypted?) rar files. Before I spend several days to download this at 10 kB/s, can you tell me how to decrypt (if necessary) and reassemble?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast