Hey,

for two days now I have a problem with my Toshiba Satellite PSPA3E Notebook (Graphic: Nvidia GeForce Go 7600)...
Suddenly, without really doing anything, the colors of my screen were messed up and after rebooting I got a BSOD with a 0x50 error at the Nvidia-driver n4_mini.sys (I have Win XP SP2). After a little research I found out that this fault can have many causes - but I'm pretty sure that its the RAM or the graphic card. Unfortunately I can't afford a replacement so I have to come up with a temporary solution. After deinstalling the graphics drivers in safe mode the system worked again - kind of... I now not only have 4bit colors and a resolution of 800x600,
but there are vertical stripes (in rows of four) all over the display. Those stripes are also visible when the computer starts (on the "Toshiba"-logo) - so it can't only be a Windows-fault.
More reasonable would be a physical RAM or a graphic card fault. Then I tried to start Knoppix, but it froze loading the pcmcia card-manager. I got to start the os with the cheat code "failsafe" - suddenly without any graphic problems!
So I know that its possible - as temporary solution - to surpass this error. The problem with failsafe is that my mouse (mousepad or usb) isn't recognized - and I don't know how to load the driver afterwards.
Unfortunately there is no command like "failsafe usb" so that hardware detection is disabled for (alsmost) everything BUT USB.
If I'm writing the failsafe codes by hand (noapic, noapg, nopcmcia etc...) and leave out nousb, the screen is getting really dark (as if contrast would have been set to 0) and mouse clicks aren't registrated somehow.
If I only disable the memory (nodma) it is freezing again at the pcmcia-manager and if I try nodma, noapg and nopcmcia (in any combination), the screen becomes dark again...
So my question is, next to the obvious one: "What can I do / should I try", is whether you can load the failsafe mode with restrictions (e.g. failsafe with usb-support) or if you can explicitly get around the graphic card and the RAM.

Please help me!!!

Thanks already,

Leif

PS: (I'm using KNOPPIX_V5.1.1CD-2007-01-04-DE)