1 – If you try to install knoppix 6 on your hard drive and installer says no suitable partition available – even after you've set up the two requirements [from its help window] of a 1gb swapfile and a big enough reiserfs partition for knoppix – mine was 8gb – then either ask for a refund and go back to Puppy – or backup and wipe your hard drive and start from scratch with an empty slate – knoppix doesn't seem to like sharing its patch – and then once knoppix is safely installed then shrink its enormous partition, make some more new ones [with puppy gparted on live cd] and re-install your other programmes from backups, put entries in Knoppix /boot/grub/menu.lst and there you are – sadder, wiser, more tired but with a spanking new knoppix

2 – to connect to the net if knoppix doesn't find your wired connection right away – or thinks it's found one which doesn't actually exist – right click on the 2screen icon near the right hand end of the panel – then on <edit connections> and click on <add> - enter address, netmask, and gateway, [clicking <enter> after each one and then your dns entries in that bar and then click on <apply> - if you're still not connected then left click on the 2screens icon and then click on the connection you just added – ???does anyone know how to edit the <ifupdown eth0> connection which knoppix seems to choose by default even when it doesn't work – but this one seems to be locked and can't be changed???

3 – To add new shortcut icons to the panel – right click on one of the existing icons – click on <application launch bar settings> and then on <add item> - in this initial box you can also delete icons you don't want and rearrange the order of the icons

4 –if you want to set up printing – open iceweasel browser and type <localhost:631> in the location bar to bring up the CUPS server screen and then click on <add printer> in the list of options – it's probably best to have your printer switched on at this point so software can recognize it - then work through the dialogues – if your printer make and or model isn't listed see next paragraph

5 – if there's no .ppd file for your particular printer [mine is a canon pixma mp190 multifunction] try a search in google like this <.ppd file for canon pixma mp 190 printer> and then try locating a driver through <linuxprinting.com> or in my case <software.canon-europe.com> - I downloaded the <MP190_debian_drivers.tar > file and after un-tar-ing all the components – could be several layers – install the general and specific printer .deb packages inside – only one extra dependency package needed <libcupsys2> which I got easily through apt-get.

6 – make a cup of really strong coffee – if you've stuck with knoppix6 this far you deserve it - i definitely still think it's worth it-- look forward to seeing other people's lists