Hi,

My laptop completely crashed (apparantly some vital parts of windows got corrupted, and even when reinstalling it crashes cause it couldn't copy the files anymore.. (something like /boot/bsd or names like that warnings WINDOWS gave when starting/blue-screening). - any chkdisk run gave 1000s of orphaned indices and unexpected end of files..
Problem is I would really, really like to retrieve some installation files (can only download those at the university themself, and they are 25gb big - and my personal documents -around 2-3gb)

Now a friend mentioned using a knoppix-cd-boot.. - So I just burned knoppix, and indeed it works .

I tried working my way around a bit already (looked at all menus), and I could indeed browse the files I would like to retrieve using the text-based file manager. Also I just opened a "windows"-like program (isn't that called a window manager or something?).
Now how do I copy files (and folders) exactly? - I tried ctrl-c+ctrl-v at the desired locations.. However upon copying it closes the 2 windows???

Also -as knoppix sparkled my interest-Can anybody explain the actual difference between knoppix (os), adriane, konqueror & gnome (latter 2 are 2 variations to do the "same" thing if I'm correct?)