Thread: Lost Windows Partition

Lost Windows Partition

I recently downloaded Knoppix for assistance with a Windows issue. My 40GB Windows drive was not responding to the OS so I decided to put reinstall XP with a disk other than my HP recovery disk. In doing so, the partition table (FAT32 i believe) for a small but important partition was lost. Having started a forensics class I chose to DL Knoppix (my first Linux experience) to try to recover the partition. I created a Live DVD, ran Knoppix and looked around a little. I found an old restore point (that could possibly include the partition) on the windows drive but no secondary partition. What tool within Knoppix could I use to assist in finding and recover this lost partition?

Side note, I very much enjoy Knoppix so far and could definitely see a switch eventually.

Thank you in advance for the help,
    Brian

Lost Partition

I just started using Knoppix (love it so far) and have a question about partition recovery. I have a Windows drive that wouldn't recognize the OS, so I installed XP using another install disk. In doing so, I lost a FAT32 partition that had some data that I want to recover. I DLed Knoppix and created a Live DVD and started the laptop. I was able to find an old restore point but no the old partition. Where/How should I look for the partition?

Secondly, Knoppix is my first experience with Linux and I like it so far. Definitely considering switching at least on machine to have a diverse environment.

Thank you,
    Brian

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions