Hi,

About a month ago, stupid as I am, I got somewhat irritated on my laptop and gave the keyboard a gentle smash. 30 seconds later Windows 7 gave me the blue screen, and since then no OS can be found when trying to boot. I'm quite broke (and probably will be for some time) and would as far as I can prefer to check out the possibilities of rescuing the most important files myself, rather than paying for someone other to do it for me.

I have been able to boot from a usb-stick, testing several open source OSs. (Hope that means the damage is limited to the internal hard drive.) But, since I'm completely new to this non-windows stuff I still haven't had any success in trying to access my hard drive, mainly because all the commands are all like hebrew to me.

Just found out about Knoppix and decided to try it. I'm running the File Manager, but it only shows to drives: pendrive and knoppix_fs. No c:\. Does this means I won't be able to use Knoppix to rescue any files? (I can add that the machine emits some sort of asthmatic humming sound while trying to boot from the hard drive. Guess that should be taken as a bad omen. An acquaintance told me this might not necessarily mean it's all over, so I'm still giving it my best try.)

Thankful for every help I can get!

Regards,

Jens