Thread: Basic help recovering files off bad hard drive

Hybrid View

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Werner P. Schulz View Post
    PCManFM-menu/ Tools/ Open current folder as root
    Why is it imperative to "take root"? That seems an odd way for things to be set up.

Cheers!
    Krishna

Moderator Moderator
    Why is it imperative to "take root"? That seems an odd way for things to be set up.
    ... you are right! It also works for simple user knoppix - just tested it for my own,
    Last edited by Werner P. Schulz; 04-07-2011 at 06:55 PM. Reason: cancel my answer

Moderator Moderator
    ... oh! I have make a mistake - it doesn't work for user "knoppix"; I tested at the wrong location

On extern usb-drive I can not work as user knoppix. Either i work in the second instance of PCManFM as root or root creates a storage folder and "chown" it for user knoppix.

I think, the first way is easier to use for knoppix novice.

Greetings Werner * http://www.wp-schulz.de/knoppix/summary.html
    Own Rescue-CD with Knoppix (Knoppix V6.4.4 remaster)

Look Mum: no root !

Quote Originally Posted by krishna.murphy View Post
    My thought exactly.

So I stuck in a USB stick and Knoppix added the following line to /etc/fstab:

Code:
    /dev/sdc1 /media/sdc1 vfat noauto,users,exec,umask=000,shortname=winnt,uid=knoppix,gid=knoppix 0 0
    So I typed in (look Mum, no sudo):

Code:
    mount /media/sdc1
    fgrep sdc1 /etc/fstab
    and got:

Code:
    /dev/sdc1 /media/sdc1 vfat rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,uid=1000,gid=1000,fmask=0000,dmask=0000,allow_utime=0022,codepage=cp850,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=winnt,errors-remount-ro 0 0
    Taking the letters rw as a good sign, I tried (without sudo):

Code:
    touch /media/sdc1/werner
    rm /media/sdc1/werner
    and got no error. So I did:

Code:
    pcmanfm &
    pcmanfm &
    and dragged and dropped arbitrary file from my the file manager open at my home directory to the file manager open on the usb top-level directory and again got no error. I deleted the file again using the file manger and again no error. I opened nothing as a root window.

What have I got wrong ? Installing to USB ? Using the DVD edition ? Running the KDE desktop instead of the latest toy ? Or did I just cheat by using the command line ?

Every release the GUI seems to change and people are all lost, confused or frustrated because the hack they used to use no longer works. Here's me typing in the same kind of thing I did 30 years ago (before there were PCs and stuff) and, "well, knock me down with a feather", it still works.

Cheers,