Quote Originally Posted by kl522 View Post
A quick check on the script aubrsync also contains rsync however it does not contain umount, but it does include 'remount'. So I suggest you still use aubrsync. What you need to do is to manually copy 'mount.aufs' to /sbin, aubrsync to /usr/bin, since your 'make install' has failed. There is no need to 'umount' before you 'remount'.

If you want I can post you my compiled aufs-utils. But it was done for kernel 2.6.38.7 which I am not sure it will be compatible with your kernel.
I think it would be nice to have the complete aufs2-package compiled with the kernel version of the actual release - as a starting point. Speaking for myself, I'm pretty sure that I will be able to break things during kernel updates, so I think I need a safe and stable place to start. From sourceforge, it seems that basically the same aufs2 version goes with a series of kernel releases?

In addition, could there be compatibility problems with 32/64-bits compiles?

As result, when Knoppix shutdowns down, knoppix does not manage to umount everything before it halts. PROBABLY it does not matter if you mount the persistent file over file system such as VFAT and ext2/ext3. But if you mount Knoppix persistent file over NTFS, Knoppix kills the fuse process before shutdown and and it can corrupt the persistent file system.

If you ask is this normal, then I would say it is not normal but it is a knoppix behaviour.

Can I fix this easily?
Yes this can be fixed but perhaps not so easily. In my own customization I umount EVERYTHING before shutdown down.
I think your way is the right way here. And I really can't see why this should not be fixed, as it may also provide keys to better and safer system administration. I see very little reason for not having two alternatives on exiting X: The ordinary command-line, and the basic start position where /UNIONFS is unmounted. The ordinary shutdown/reboot then proceeds through the basic stage, with several possibilities for adding in system administration procedures.

BTW, maybe we should ask the aufs developer to include a restricted varaiant of aufs-mounting branches from aufs-mounted volumes? It is mentioned among future possibilities, and one major reason why aufs is invisible and not too useful for our day-to-day tasks with Knoppix, is that we can't perform anything unless we have volumes outside of /UNIONFS mounted.

Typical uses would be database storage directories, where a cloop startup is unified with extra storage (outside the persistent image), or web content, like directories with large downloadable files.