One of the new questions in the unclassified FAQ's was looking for a way to make the screen resolution in console mode different than in x. I'm a newbie to linux and knoppix, but this worked for me (a google of a debian forum provided the answer)

I am running knoppix with a decent 32meg onboard ATI radeon, but I am displaying on an old TV (obviously not 1024x76, and the boot up text in normal mode is unreadable.

Using the cheatcode vga=ext makes it better, but still barely readable. I now use the following string at the boot prompt:

knoppix vga=0x311 screen=640x480

0x311 represents 640x480 resolution with 65k colors if I remember correctly. 0x310 is the same at 32k colors, and there is even a mode for 256 color but I don't have my notes (google for "linux console resolution" or something like that)).

This puts me in 640x480 for both the console and x. I had one glitch after my files were copied to the hard drive during a hard drive install (the screen shut off), but it works great from the CD. The settings for x stay in my settings after I saved them and used the "myconfig=" cheatcode, but the console settings don't seem to stick.