I have the same issue with my IBM Thinkpad A20M. I have MD5sum checked the image to ensure it wasn't a corrupted download. The image works fine on my other systems but it locks on my laptop. Here is the exact response I get:

<
Accessing KNOPPIX CDROM at /dev/scd0.../modules/cloop.o: init_module:
Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters

Can't find KNOPPIX filesystem, sorry.
Dropping you to a (very limited) shell.
Press reset button to quit.
>

I have even tried the 'expert' boot option as well as making a floppy boot disk with the same error. I know the CD drive is good because I run Mandrake on it currently. I have a second partition on the laptop that I would like to install the KNOPPIX on but I'm stuck at this point. Any assistance would be appreciated

Oh, one more thing, this has happened since ver 12-12-2002, the prior one, 12-10-2002 did actually make it to command level but could not boot the GUI. I could go back to the older version and see if I can do a HD install from that but I'm worried that it will have the same problems with the CD as I'm having now. Again, thanks in advance for any assistance.

Pace