Thread: Fails to fully load...

Fails to fully load...

I am trying to start Knoppix on an already problematic machine. The computer gets to the penguin in the top left hand corner of the screen with the blinking cursor under it, but after that it goes to a blank black screen. The computer appears to stop thinking at all. There is no CD-ROM activity or sound other then the fan from the computer.

Recent computer history:
    We have been attempting to reinstall the OS. The first attempt was with the compaq quickrestore disk. This stopped partway into the install.

The next attempt was to use the XP update disk to reinstall. That also fails every time partway through the download.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I just ran the startup with the expert option and found that it stalled at:
    VFS: Mounted root (ext2 Filesystem).

Senior Member registered user

Re: Fails to fully load...

--Could be the hard drive going bad. Take it in for service and see what they say.

Quote Originally Posted by Titan
    I am trying to start Knoppix on an already problematic machine. The computer gets to the penguin in the top left hand corner of the screen with the blinking cursor under it, but after that it goes to a blank black screen. The computer appears to stop thinking at all. There is no CD-ROM activity or sound other then the fan from the computer.

Recent computer history:
    We have been attempting to reinstall the OS. The first attempt was with the compaq quickrestore disk. This stopped partway into the install.

The next attempt was to use the XP update disk to reinstall. That also fails every time partway through the download.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I just ran the startup with the expert option and found that it stalled at:
    VFS: Mounted root (ext2 Filesystem).

I was afraid of that. :/ Thank you for the response.

Titan

--Just thought of something else... Could be the *cdrom drive* going bad. Try swapping a spare one in (if avail) and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    I was afraid of that. :/ Thank you for the response.

Titan

I tried the CD-RW drive (DVD was being used before), with the same result. We also recently added 500 MB RAM and a Geforce 4. We had been trying to reinstall because we were having difficluties removing the old drivers. When we tried reinstalling is when all the problems came up.

Problem solved. I removed the 500 MB RAM we installed and it's up and running. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Titan

Sanja

Could be the hard drive going bad. Take it in for service and see what they say.

Hmm i think that knoppix boots to RAm not a hdd! why it fails if hdd iz bad? SO when my hdd have wrong Fat partiton i can`t boot from knoppix and go to the internet? (

--Recall the first post in this thread:
    >>Recent computer history:
    >>We have been attempting to reinstall the OS. The first attempt was with the compaq quickrestore disk. This stopped partway into the install.

>>The next attempt was to use the XP update disk to reinstall. That also fails every time partway through the download.

--He was trying different things that didn't involve Knoppix, and both the hdd and cdrom seemed suspect. But you're right, Knoppix boots to RAM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanja
    Could be the hard drive going bad. Take it in for service and see what they say.

Hmm i think that knoppix boots to RAm not a hdd! why it fails if hdd iz bad? SO when my hdd have wrong Fat partiton i can`t boot from knoppix and go to the internet? (