My first post, so please bear with me.

I've used Knoppix several times over the years, primarily because Windows had died. This time, I haven't been able to recover my data. So, I created a Knoppix 7.2 bootable 4GB USB drive using the Pendrive utility. Later I did the flash-knoppix and made a persistent 16GB flash drive that I use as the only OS with my diskless Acer7560 laptop. All in all, it's pretty cool!

Ok, I figured out how to set the timezone and fix the clock. I played around and added a few more desktops using apt-get. Since I'm a developer, I used Synaptics to add a few tools: Algol, Cobol, Fortran, NASM, etc. After awhile, I realized that even though I was running Knoppix64 which uses the Linux64 kernal, only the I386 packages were being selected and installed.

I edited my apt/sources.list file, and added the [arch=amd64] to each deb http stmt - No change. I went to www.SimplyLinux.ch and used their Debian Source List file generator to create a source.list file that only pointed to the amd64 repositories - No change. While going thru all this, I noticed two things: 1) dpkg itself is an i386 app, so it won't install or update or upgrade anything that is NOT i386. And 2) the Synaptics Package Manager ALWAYS says a package is broken when it tries to install an amd64 app.

Anybody got any ideas on how I can install some amd64 apps to complement the 64-bit kernal?

Thanx!