@ Capricorny and Jeffery (in alphabetical order)

Many thanks to you both for the feedbacks and sharing the first-hand experience. After purging the packages listed in one of the files attached previously, the uncompressed size of the main knoppix folder (/KNOPPIX) is 3089MB. By refreshing the icon-theme.cache files (gtk-update-icon-cache -i -f) and downgrading Iceweasel from version 32 to version 24, the size of the uncompressed folder can be reduced by 82MB and 75MB, respectively. Overall, the sizes of the main knoppix are 2932MB in the form of uncompressed folder (on ext4 partition), 2781MB for the uncompressed iso file and 1015MB for the file compressed with level 9 argument. The final compressed file is nowhere near being fitted in a CD or its size being comparable to Debian Live 8.0.0. If I am able to find more time later on, I will try to repeat the same procedure on KNOPPIX 7.2.0 DVD to see if I have missed something.

Just for a side note, an upside of compressing the main knoppix folder with level 6 argument is (obviously) to reduce the compressing time significantly but a downside to have a approx. 6MB larger file.

@ Jeffery

It seems to being getting harder for the console-based browsers to cope with the modern websites, and I also miss the era when the web pages looked fairly primitive by today's perspectives. By the way, for a linux novice like me, your main workhorse seems to have a barebone linux setup. I would appreciate if a list of installed packages could be shared only if it is not too troublesome. Many thanks.

ATB,