hi i fancied trying linux and knoppix looked like fun but am having problems at boot.

i have a packard bell imedia 5051 pc,1.8 celeron(gigabyte GA-8siml mobo), 512 ddr,40gig st340810a seagate hard drive,radeon 9000 128 np,philips cdd 5101 combi drive,realtec 8139 nic.

after booting from the knoppix cd the first error i get is"error only one processor found"

my memory is then detected as 515mb and the next few lines say cloop error at xxxxxxx(various numbers)

it then continues to load and after the green bar it detects my graphics card and nic.

the screen then goes black for a few seconds and the next screen i see says loading system services.this takes about 30 secs and then the screen goes black apart from my mouse pointer that is frozen sometimes,other times i can move it.

i have tried all the cheats and get the same result.

the testcd cheat returns the error that the download is either incomplete or my ram is bad.

i have tested my ram with memtest and its ok.and downloaded knoppix from another location.still get the same error.

the download was only 645mb,i thought it was supposed to be 700?have found another link thats 699mb so am downloading that to try.

any suggestions would be great as am new to all this.sorry for the long post and thanks.