Quote Originally Posted by superman View Post
Hi, folks: If the process of interest is analogous to that of poor man's installation rather than that of apt-get upgrade, I haven't tried out using the latest release myself but imagine the files closely related to each version of KNOPPIX and thus needing to be replaced are KNOPPIX (the compressed file rather than the folder), minirt.gz, linux (renamed vmlinuz-$(uname -r)) and linux64 (renamed vmlinuz-$(uname -r)-64). This kind of operation probably can be done safely only when the KNOPPIX (taken as a whole) which is meant be overwritten is offline. Besides, the overlay file/partition used for KNOPPIX 7.4.X may need to be rebuilt afterwards.
Hi, Great. Superman reads Nabokov. My original statement said I have an error updating a 32gb usb stick. 1 There is nothing wrong with the stick. (it has 2.6gb free) 2 When I built it I selcted 'P' and used 'all space left' for overlay. 3 The 32GB stick is used as the 'driver' for 2TB library. Works great. This error of 'not enough room' is referring to the base partition. The only reason to update is to play with 3D and see if 7.6 CAN update. We read that 7.6 can update without trashing the hard fought overlay. Now I thought maybe someone would say keep back space so 7.6 can work. Fine; I'd build another and keep space of (overlay) a bit smaller. or, maybe; 'Delete something specific from the base partition, for 7.6 ----- But no. I receive convoluted literature effete and out of the idiom Thank you for this time. Please try again. 7.6 either can or can not. ttopp