OK, I am REALLY miffed!

I've been using KNOPPIX since V2.2 Final. I've never had a problem like this thru V3.1. I have this problem with every release of V3.2 I've tried (the first one in Jan, the first one in May and 20030606).

I teach C++ and Java to preAP and AP Computer Science students in a High School setting. I've got them pretty comfortable with Linux in general and KNOPPIX in particular as well as using /mnt/floppy to save/load their files. They typically use Konqueror to download assignments from my website, KATE to edit/save/print their code and Konsole to compile and execute. I don't get into EMACS or VI or MAKE or any fancy IDEs. This worked great for us thru V3.1 (we used V3.1 20030101 all last semester without a hitch as a poor man's dual boot).

OK, here's the problem. Ever since V3.2 everything works great except printing files from KATE. Now I don't know if its KATE or the KNOPPIX Printer Configuration for CUPS, but the whole system freezes-up when I print from KATE. I get a message that kate is preparing to print page 1, then NOTHING happens! This happens no mater what printer I use (local, tcp/ip, laser or deskjet). The same configuration works fine in pre V3.2 for all these printers (BTW, I only have HP)!

I am REALLY frustrated with this. Has anyone else had this problem? If so, could you PLEASE suggest a solution?

Now, you might say, "why not stick to V3.1 20030101 if its so great?" Well, that is an option. But I was trying to get the latest KNOPPIX I could get to start next term so my kids could use the latest GCC GCJ libraries as they keep getting updated (GCJ/JIG still doesn't have AWT or SWING quite right). I don't know about Balckdown Java....

Another alternative, I suppose, is to have the students still boot to a poor man's dual boot and then have them log-in to a server on the LAN that I have knx-hdinstalled with a full download of Sun's Java SDK 1.4.1.... How do i set-up a thin-client for this?

TIA,