Quote Originally Posted by mzee
I start MySQL manually in a konsole : sudo /etc/init.d/mysql start
With the 2003-07-10 DVD the error messages I quoted appear in the error-file : "/var/log/mysql/mysql.err "
Odd. I tried this command on a 20030726 CD boot. No errors in the console, but the error-log showed:

Code:
030805 13:00:35  Error at /etc/init.d/mysql\n/usr/bin/mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
error: 'Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)'
Check that mysqld is running and that the socket: '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' exists!
030805 13:00:35  mysqld started
Warning: Ignoring user change to 'mysql' because the user was set to 'mysql' earlier on the command line
/usr/sbin/mysqld: ready for connections.
Version: '4.0.13-log'  socket: '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock'  port: 0
As you can see the same errors, but MySql is started. Maybe this command is not the right way to start the server (the man page does not list the 'start' command). I always use 'sudo mysqld' (full path: /usr/sbin/mysqld). Try that and see if it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by mzee
Another question : can you add another user (not 'root') with MySQL under Knoppix? I was unable to do so.
It did work for me with 'mysqladmin'. Check the permissions on the databasefiles in /var/lib/mysql/mysql.

Hope This Helps (HTH)

- - Edwin