I just thought I'd mention to people thatyou can now boot knoppix with the "toram" option. This was enabled on the 9-5 release. What the toram option does is copy all of knoppix (700mb) to ram and run it from there. Needless to say you need a lot of ram to pull this off. I tried it last night with 1gig of ram and it worked quite nicely. The main advantage of using toram that I can see is that it lets you remove your Knoppix cd after booting up. You can then read data cd's or burn cd's from Knoppix if you are so inclined.

If you don't have this much ram there is also another new boot option: tohd. Instead of copying Knoppix to ram, tohd copies the image to your hard drive. The syntax of tohd is something like this: tohd=hda1 - at least that's what I gleaned from looking at the 9-5 changelog.

So people, try out these options and post your experiences, negative or positive, back here.

Do not try the tohd option if you are using the ntfs file system!!!!!!!!!!

You may well bork your hd.

If you need to run Knoppix from the hd on an ntfs partition, copy the image from windows to the drive. You can follow the instructions for the poor mans install on the docs page.

Adam