Thread: Added HD, now devices are shifted - how to? (resolved)

Senior Member registered user

Added HD, now devices are shifted - how to? (resolved)

First thing: Knoppix v3.3 HD Install.

Background:
    -=- Previous device setup...
    /dev/hda1 - Linux HD OS - Primary Master
    /dev/hda2 - Dos partition
    /dev/hda3 - Linux Swap
    /dev/hdb - DVD device - Primary Slave
    /dev/hdc - CDRW device - Secondary Master

-=- After adding new hard drive, this is the new configuration...
    /dev/hda1 - Linux HD OS - Primary Master
    /dev/hda2 - Dos partition
    /dev/hda3 - Linux Swap
    /dev/hdb - DVD device - Primary Slave
    /dev/hdc1 - DOS / VFAT Win98 HD OS - Secondary Master
    /dev/hdd - CDRW device - Secondary Slave

From what I can tell, all of my device pointers point to cdrom1 as the CDRW device, how do I get /dev/hdc to point to /dev/hdd now, as far as cdrom1 is concerned, I think cdaudio device points to the same thing as well.

As a side note: I did figure out how to install Win98 *AFTER* installing Knoppix, with a two drive system, and Windows didn't touch my Knoppix drive.

I the "new configuration" I have listed above, I simply pulled the power connector to the Primary Master (Linux) Hard Drive, Installed Win98 from setup, and when I finished getting Win98 configured, I replaced the power on the Linux Hard Drive - I use the BIOS boot order to determine which OS I am booting. Technically, I don't ever plan on booting Win98, I plan on just using it for Wine to use, and my pain in the rump DOS program.

Thanks for any assistance on getting my devices back to where they are now,
    Cuddles

As root, look in your fstab file /etc/fstab and see what device is your cdrom1, I think it should be /dev/cdrom1, but check and make sure.

If it is, then do:
    ls -al /dev/cdrom1
    you may/should see something like this:
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Jan 31 08:35 /dev/cdrom1 -> /dev/hdc
    ^Notice the beginning "l" - el (not one), which means link.

If so what you need to do is remove the /dev/cdrom1 link, like this:
    rm /dev/cdrom1
    and then link it to the proper device like this:
    ln -s /dev/hdd /dev/cdrom1

That should fix it for cdrom capabilities, but may not allow you to use the writer functions, as those require scsi emulation.

HTH

~rock

Another alternative would be to get the CD-RW back at C and the new hard drive at D.

This would involve moving jumpers around on the two drives.

CD drives usually come configured as cable-select by default.
    Hard drives usually come configured as masters by default.

What you would need to do is to move the jumper on your CD drive to the master setting, and the jumper on your hard drive to the slave setting.

Ok, I don't want to move the hard drive to a slave situation - right now, if I have to, I can switch my BIOS boot order, and be able to boot up Win98 w/o having to monkey around with my Linux.

As for the pointer issue, I am not sure if my CDRW works or not, but this is how I evaluated your link solution...

ls -al /dev/cdrom = /dev/scd0
    ls -al /dev/cdrom1 = /dev/scd1

Note that cdrom is my DVD device, and cdrom1 is my CDRW, by the link output of this, can I assume that my "links" are actually pointing to the SCSI emulation, and not by the physical hdX device allocation - and thus, if my scd# is being used, since I didn't add another cdrom inbetween my DVD and CDRW, that the scd#'s are still the same???

In other words, this was a false alarm, right? If this is the case, that is COOL - Linux rocks big time

Am I right on this one? Since Linux/Knoppix was linking to the SCSI emulation device, that hasn't changed, since my cdroms are still in the same order, just have a device in the middle that isn't being passed to the SCSI emulator.
    Cuddles

DOH

I checked my cdrw device - it works fine. Appears that since Knoppix was linking to the scd# devices and not the hdX devices - that nothing got "shifted" when I added the hard drive in the middle of the two cdrom devices. Now, if I would have added another cdrom (type) device, that may have changed things, but then again, I probably would have added a new cdrom type device at the tail-end, and not as the Master in the IDE chain.

I tend to like making HD's the Master, and other devices the Slave, in the case of IDE. (unless of course I have two "other" devices, in which case one would have to be made the Master) I think this stems from the old DOS days, hard drives are Master, other devices Slave. I don't know, maybe its just me

[giggle]
    Cuddles

I think this stems from the old DOS days, hard drives are Master, other devices Slave
    Off Topic - but did you hear that the City of Los Angeles have requested vendors stop using the terms "Master" and "Slave" in product descriptions on the basis that it is not "politically correct".

Check this out http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/outrage/master.asp

Yes, TearingHairOut, I read that somewhere, but, unfortunately, my BIOS must be BPC (Before Politically Correct time) and when refering from my BIOS settings, and my hardware jumpers, they have the M and S settings.

LOL - Sue me, but, maybe more likely, sue my manufacturers for not having a factory recall to have the jumper descriptions changed, or my BIOS manufacturer for not making a BIOS upgrade to change the BIOS settings. [giggle]

Cuddles

I checked my cdrw device - it works fine. Appears that since Knoppix was linking to the scd# devices and not the hdX devices - that nothing got "shifted" when I added the hard drive in the middle of the two cdrom devices.
    Cool, that's what I would have expected, that your /dev/cdrom was linked to /dev/scd0, etc. I just moved my hd to a promise controller card, I had to move my cdrom to "MA" instead of "SL" (are those terms politically correct?) on my primary controller channel to get it detected but other than that, the devices were still just as they had been, my cdrom was /dev/scd0 and my cdrw was /dev/scd1.

~rock