Thread: XChat doesn't connect

Senior Member registered user

XChat doesn't connect

You know you have run a OS for a while, when the little things become issues...

Case in point: XChat - In the windows world, I used Pirch - and this is where I am getting my connection information from...

XChat tries to (1) locate the server, and (2) connect to the server...

Problems: During step (1) it sometimes changes servers, or irc locations to God knows why [something] -=- or, during step (2) it always times out and disconnects.

Background: DALNet - either irc.darkmyst.org/6667 or irc.icq.com/7000

connecting to DarkMyst - it changes to some "Hotels" irc, and tries to connect to that, icq on the other hand, likes to change to irc-m.icq.aol.com - which never connects either...

I'd like to get back to my "usual" chat groups, some of them, I actually host, and not being able to get to them, doesn't help.

I am using kppp, with an already connected connection to the ISP, these servers, and irc locations DO exist, and I "am" a member of them (with the account I have in the setup of DALNet, in the server list)

I realize that this (must) be a simple problem, possibly "user", but, can someone help on getting this to work? Sheesh, for as much as I have gone through, to get Knoppix up, and setup, and happy, not to mention the learning involved, to get stumped by something like this. (who'd a thunked [giggle])

Thanks for any assistance,
    Cuddles

Member registered user

for what i understand

for what i understand, you need an Ident server, you have to go to X-chat's web site, they have one you can make yourself.'

This is Debian remember?

apt-cache search identd

Member registered user

OH ant Apt-get

and Apt-get works all the time,

if it does then may lightning strike my computer

Got it

An apt-cache search did not find inetd - but did find xinetd - which I apt-got - had a flood of xinetd messages on shutdown and reboot - which stemed from deactivating what appeared to be knet-inetd or something or other - I went into Sys-V and took out my loading/shutdowns for inetd, which I already had entries for xinetd added by the apt-get install for xinetd done for me...

Docs stated once removal of "old" inetd was done on boots/start up - to take out the inetd-compat (compatablility mode in xinetd for previous inetd support) - and I can get to irc chats now...

Haven't tried another reboot to see if those "flood" of messages from xinetd are still their - shessh that stuff is terrible. Anyone run xinetd???? If they are still showing up on my boot and shutdown, they run these messages for more than four screen-fulls - and I checked in dmesg - they are not being posted into it...

The messages don't seem to be causing any problems, other than seeing a flood of messages from xinetd as I boot, doesn't seem to stop Debian/Knoppix from booting, just a lot more "noise" on the booting and shutting down, kinda thing.

Cuddles

Ok, a little more information on those boot and shutdown errors, they are coming from xinetd, and the only thing I can think of why they are happening is, GuardDog firewall is starting before xinetd is, and GuardDog shuts down before xinetd, thats booting and shutting down, respectively...

Here are the messages I get -=- both on booting and shutting down:

IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR XINETD USERS
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    The following line will be added to your /etc/inetd.conf file:

#<off># ftps stream tcp nowait sslwrap.sslwrap /usr/sbin/tcpd /usr/sbin/sslwrap -nocert -addr 127.0.0.1 -port ###

(then it says something about not being able to do this, and that I not only need to do this myself, but translate it to something -in my own system- kinda thing)

These messages repeat for about 15 or 20 port numbers, all different, but from what I can tell, they are the same port numbers when I boot and shutdown, but not all the same messages on the screen ( does that make sense? what I mean is, when I boot, the messages are for the same port numbers as when I shutdown, and reboot - but the messages on a single boot screen are not all the same number port and just repeated 15 to 20 times - better? )

I am completely clueless on what it is asking me to do, or why it can't do it - like it says it is going to do - and I don't know why I need to do it - this thing sounds way too much like "openning" up my system - i.e. when it says ports.

Can someone assist in my "lacking" of understanding why xinetd is doing this, and possible resolution of it - its rather sick looking when you boot and shutdown to see these messages go flying by - and for who knows what, or why...

Thanks
    Cuddles