Thread: Taking Knoppix to my buddie's place

Junior Member registered user

Taking Knoppix to my buddie's place

Wish me luck. Tomorrow I'm going over to my friend's house and I'm taking my Knoppix CD with me and givem a taste of penguin!. Their system is an Amd Duron 800, 256MB Ram, GF2 MX400 Video card and their internet connection is DSL. Anything I should know before hand? I'm actually curious to see how well or if it will work with the DSL connection.

Desire

Senior Member registered user
    Does your friend have a router? If not is their DSL modem hooked up to a network card or a usb port?

Member registered user

Re: Taking Knoppix to my buddie's place

Quote Originally Posted by desire
    Wish me luck. Tomorrow I'm going over to my friend's house and I'm taking my Knoppix CD with me and givem a taste of penguin!. Their system is an Amd Duron 800, 256MB Ram, GF2 MX400 Video card and their internet connection is DSL. Anything I should know before hand? I'm actually curious to see how well or if it will work with the DSL connection.

Desire
    It'll work fine, from my 3 such experiences. And your friend will be amazed. Try K=>Edutainment=>Science=>KStars. Right click something and select one of the online images. If you're not into astronomy just type a URL into the Location tool bar on the Konqueror window that Knoppix starts with. Enter. And there you are.
    Have fun!

Senior Member registered user

Re: Taking Knoppix to my buddie's place

Quote Originally Posted by desire

Desire
    You should be good to go, around here at least either with Sympatico or the cable company you can get a DHCP connection without problems even if they tell you that you need the PPPoE and are supposed to login to use it. Now if they have one of them stupid USB modems I heard about but never ran into yet I have no clue on that.

Member registered user
    Well if your friend has a router, it'll be a breeze. DHCP can take care of that. Even PPPoE is easy. Good luck, I hope Knoppix converts him to the way of Linux like it did to me: Linux is God.

Junior Member registered user
    Just got home from my buddy's place. Knoppix booted up perfectly but I already knew the cheatcode to set the screen resolution and it came on the screen off center . When it was booting he was sitting there and his reaction (reply) was "Whoo... that's some pretty serious stuff" Any he had this problem with his Win '98 (upgrade version) where none of the CD drive were accessible. I changed the CD drive and put in a new one and still the same problem, but everything showed up in Knoppix. When I rebooted back into Win'98 the same problem was there and amazed he said "But the CD drives were there in your Linux?!" When I was in Knoppix I went partly went through the DSL/PPoE setup and it looks simple enough. I was the one that setup his DSL someone posted about the crappy USB modems and they're right the USB versions are really, really crappy. A nightmare to configure and most of all it was such a huge drain on the power supply (300 watt) causing numorous spontaneous reboots. Anyway he is such a nice guy and my best friend as a matter of fact. It's actually bothers me how he has paid dearly and ending up with crap (Win '98 upgrade). First he bought Win 95C paid $120 CDN and because '98 full version was so expensive he spent another $130 for '98 upgrade, so $250 later and an OS that is so flakey it isn't even funny. Viruses I think about 4 times in the last year he has had a virus on his computer and this is with virus protection form Sympatico, a firewall and a virus program at home. Meanwhile does Mr. Gates who is sitting in his $10B mansion give a hoot....I think not....GEE HOW DOES HE SLEEP AT NIGHT KNOWING MAKING HE'S SUCH CRAP! Someone should sue M$ for damages due to emotional distress!!!!
    At home I have two boxes and I run Mandrake 9.1, Knoppix 3.3 and Slackware 9.1 and I can run any of these days on end without any problems. Last week I had to reboot Mandrake because Nautilus went bezerk and the only thing I could do was hit the CTRL+ALT+Bckspace keys to get into a login screen in text mode from there I rebooted the system, but the system had been running nonstop for over a week! For some reason opening a JPG to full screen in Nautilus makes it go cuckoo.
    Anyway sorry about the vent. So I'm going to set him with another box with either and (probably) Knoppix or Mandy and get a router for him and setup a network in his home I could setup his present box to dual boot but there are six in his household so I figure the best way would be to setup another box with Linux so that they can take the time to slowly learn it. I could go out and get XP but I think he's been robbed enough.