Ok, I need to do my job here...

I have a home business that takes analog sound sources - usually from speaches on cassette tape - and digitize them, edit them, cut out pre and post "silence", break the speaches up from one side of a 45 minute tape, into individual speaches, saving them as individual files, and then "burn" them onto a Audio CD, to be used by my customers...

This process was easy in Windows, create, edit, burn, and it worked.

In Knoppix/Debian, it appears it isn't...

I have wasted more than two days on the following trial:

(1) Using Audacity, I've created, both a oog, and a wav, file formats - initial 45 minute tape extraction, edited that file - both oog and wav - to strip to individual speaches - then using K3b, burned the oog, and also the wav "tracks" to a Audio CD.

PROBLEM:
Upon trying to play the K3b Audio CD, the pitch of the speaker is way lower than it should be, like they were talking in slow motion.

I have tried using oog through the complete process, till I burned it to the cd, and the same with wav - both file formats appear to create a Audio CD with these same results. What it sounds like is, if a male speaker is talking, their voice is lowered, and slowed down, like if they were a suprano, they sound like a bass.

I have tried playing the cd through XMMS and KsCD, same results - but if I save the wav/oog file in Audacity, and reload it, after using the form of export "format", the loaded file sounds fine.

I have tried everything in Audacity as far as settings - prefered settings are what I used in Windows - 44.1KHz 16 bit PCM. though at the start I had tried using the defaults, which was 32 bit float 44.1KHz. Oog compression was at mid-point - 5, but that doesn't really mean much considering I also did a wav format, and that is uncompressed.

I tried other editor/creation software that I had obtained: ReZound, and Ardour GTK - but ReZound screams about a OOS something having an error, and Ardour appears to want to deal only with internet streaming.

I need to get my business work done here, and so far, I have only wasted two days, with customers beating down on my back, and nothing to show for it.

Where is the problem, why does everything run great, sound great, until I burn it to a cd? Digital is digital right? How can something that sounds fine get so screwed up (digitally) after it is placed on a cd? Does K3b change digital bits when it burns? Has anyone had this problem, and if so, how was it resolved?

I have an Optirite CD-RW - 52x32x52 - detected exactly by both Knoppix/Debian, and by K3b - I didn't "overburn", and I stayed below the recommended "write" speed of the cd's I am using.

I have a AMD 1.7 GHz, 512 RAM, 41 gig hard drive, w/ 500 meg Swap - more than 21 gig free space on the file system hard drive, and Knoppix hard drive installed v3.3

Any assistance on getting my business back on "working" order again, will be greatly appreciated,
Cuddles