Thread: Knoppix/WindowsME/NForce network adapter problem,Please Read

Knoppix/WindowsME/NForce network adapter problem,Please Read

Hello Everyone.
    I hope someone can help me with my little problem.
    After running Knoppix Linux in normal (not failsafe} mode from the CD-ROM for the first time when I rebooted the computer back into Windows ME the driver for the onboard N.I.C. refused to load making the network adapter unavalable to Windows.I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the driver and turning the adapter on and off in the BIOS.
    The network adapter works under Linux and I am using it to post this while running Knoppix Linux from the CD-ROM so I know that the adapter is not broke.
    What I think may have happened is that the Linux driver(?) changed a hardware setting for the adapter that the windows driver can't deal with.
    Anybody hane any ideas on how I can fix this?
    I am a first time Linux user and I like what I am seeing of Linux/Knoppix so I hope that this problem is just going to be a minor bug.

SYSTEM SPECS
    MSI K7N420D Pro mobo
    AMD AlthonXP 1600+
    256 MB DDR 266 (2x128 MB)
    128 MB NVidia GForce 3 TI 200 AGP (primary display)
    16 MB ATI Rage Pro PCI (secondary display)
    Seagate 20 GB HD ( x 2)
    CD-RW x 2 (1 Sony & 1 L.G.)
    NVidia Soundstorm audio (onboard,5.1,Dolby Digital)
    NVidia 10/100 base T ethernet adapter (onboard)
    32 MB NVidia GForce 2 MX (onboard,disabled)
    Windows ME
    Knoppix Linux (from CD till next hard drive flush out)

Thanks In Advance.
    Peace
    lionSOB

Member registered user
    Have you tried either 1 double checking the connection protocols that are installed, verified that there is no conflict for resources in the hardware menu.

If not try that, if that doesn't work, uninstall the driver, and then *before reboot* fully remove the driver from windows (get the names of the drivers from the hardware menu and actually delete the ones from nVidia), then reboot, then install. I had to do this MANY times in Win98se (after getting rid of MS Windows Mistake Edition due to it having more problems then features with my hardware and software).

You can try to go into the BIOS and clear the configuration data (ESCD), and then boot, but this may cause other resource confilicts which can be fixed by removing every I do mean every device from your hardware menu, just save the video cards for last, then reboot.

Linux shouldn't mess with your hardware in such a way, If you don't attempt to screw with it from Knoppix then it won't screw with Windows.

P.s. I have a Asus a7n8x delux mobo with the Nforce2 chips, and last I checked only the integrated 3Com nic that the Asus put on worked with Knoppix... How did you get yours working without installing the drivers, or are you using another varient of Knoppix?
    Note: I havn't messed with my nForce Nic for around 4 months worth of Knoppix builds.

Quote Originally Posted by zentu
    P.s. I have a Asus a7n8x delux mobo with the Nforce2 chips, and last I checked only the integrated 3Com nic that the Asus put on worked with Knoppix... How did you get yours working without installing the drivers, or are you using another varient of Knoppix?
    Note: I havn't messed with my nForce Nic for around 4 months worth of Knoppix builds.
    Hello Zentu
    I checked for hardware conflicts,none found.Will try cleaning out old driver debris and reinstalling driver.
    I didn't do anything special to get my onboard nic working,I wouldn't know how, the first time I used a linux box was yesterday when I booted the machine into failsafe mode while trying to find out why the machine kept failing on the normal Knoppix bootup,discovered that I needed to use the noscsi switch at the boot prompt.
    Thanks for the help.
    Peace
    lionSOB

Senior Member registered user
    The latest 3.3 knoppix dated 2-16 has forcedeth built-in. There are also half a dozen custom flavors that have nforce2 dirvers.

Work Around Found!

I figured out how to fix the problem everytime it happens.This may not work for anyone else but here goes.
    1st In the BIOS set "Advanced BIOS Features -Boot Other Device" to Enable.
    2nd This is the part that may not work for anyone else as my system has 2 hard drives ,primary IDE master (Windows/Linux bootable) and slave (fat32,data,nonbootable). when Linux installed Lilo in the Master Boot Record on the bootable drive (C: , HDA ) it detected the nonbootable drive ( D: , HDB ) and made an entry in Lilo.config giving me the option of trying to boot off the nonbootable drive, when that fails it triggers the motherboard BIOS's boot on lan feature which resets the onboard ethernet adapter to default settings undoing whatever changes forcedeth is applying to the adapter allowing the Windows Drivers to load when Windows starts up.
    Its kinda messy but it works.
    Peace
    lionSOB

Senior Member registered user
    just curious, can it be done by moving the boot on lan to the top of the BIOS booting sequence so it would be reset(assuming that is what it would do) every time the machine reboot ? Most modern BIOS allows one to order the booting sequence.

I'd just like to mention

I'm running nforce and I also had my network drivers mess up when I returned to windowsXP. Weirdness...

Network error

Have you tried "apt-get update" vs. "apt-get dist-upgrade" yet? Whenever I bring my Knoppix laptop to a new location I always "mii-tool -r" and "netcardconfig" to gain Internet access.