Hello!

I installed Knoppix 3.3 to my harddisk with the knxinstall-script. All my hardware was properly detected and everything worked fine. I was really pleased! However, my pleasure didn't last for long...

At first, I started my knoppix on HDD as user "root" as well as user "knoppix" without any problems. But the third day I when I switched my computer on, I got an error message from KDE's crash manager saying that "KWin" (the KDE window manager) had to be shut down due to some segfault errors. Reasonable work was no longer possible, as all window headers and frames in KDE were broken. I shut down the PC and turned it on again. Now, logging in in kdm as "knoppix", I got an additional KDE errror message: This time, "KSplash" was broken, too. Moreover, in KDE, everything is VERY VERY slow, there's a lot of ado on my harddisk and any program I try to start fails (e.g. Khelp) with or without an error message from the KDE crash manager.

Note: I did not do any changes to the system between the installation of knoppix to HDD and always did shut down the computer properly until the screen showd on the screen the words "Power down."

Very strange, too: The above mentioned problems DO NOT occur as user "root"! Here, the login from kdm is straightforward as is should be with the Mac-like loading of the diverse modules on the screen (sorry for that comparison, but I don't know how to describe this in a better way).

Furthermore, I checked my memory with the programme "memtest" for 72 hours showing no problems at all. Thus, my RAM seems to be okay.

Any ideas what's wrong with my system???

Please help me!!!

Best regards,
Oli