View Poll Results: Which should be the default graphical WWW browser in Knoppix?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Firefox/Iceweasel 6 (currently Debian/unstable+testing)

26 63.41%
  • Firefox/Iceweasel 7 Beta (from Debian/experimental)

2 4.88%
  • Chromium (newest version from Debian/unstable+testing)

11 26.83%
  • Konqueror/Dolphin from KDE (newest version from Debian/unstable+testing)

1 2.44%
  • Internet Exploder

0 0%
  • Something Else? (Please state what below)

4 9.76%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Klaus Knopper Requests Your Feedback - please take this poll

Hybrid View

Moderator Moderator
    ... I voted for Iceweasel (not experimental). I don't like always try new things without any benefit. And especially for remastering purpose of CD version, Chromium is such a big tool: 13.1 M versus 1098 k (Iceweasel). Therefore I purged Chromium with my scripts.

Greetings Werner * http://www.wp-schulz.de/knoppix/summary.html
    Own Rescue-CD with Knoppix (Knoppix V6.7.0 remaster)

Quote Originally Posted by Werner P. Schulz View Post
    Chromium is such a big tool: 13.1 M versus 1098 k (Iceweasel).
    Hi Werner,

Where did you get your numbers from ? Are you using the size of the Debian packages as an estimation for the space needed in the compressed iso ?

According to apt-get, installing Firefox would require 4 Mb of disk space after installation but purging Chromium (and the EN internationalisation) would save 86.4 Mb.

These numbers are misleading for comparison purposes. Cross-platform applications such as browsers and the office suite tend not to rely too much on the host platform. The downside of that is they tend to be big because they don't reuse libraries that are already installed quite as much as applications written for Linux.

For example, I installed the xine front end on my Debian and it was tiny because the backend had already been installed (I think KDE uses it) but when I installed VLC a load of qt libraries were dragged in and it appeared to be big.

Iceweasel (aka Firefox) uses XUL. So does Icedove (aka Thunderbird) and so, I suppose, does Seamonkey. I don't know of any other applications that use it. If not, then KK should have removed that as well when Iceweasel and Icedove were removed. Seems he did not. Perhaps apt or dpkg wasn't playing nice that day.

How big is XUL ? Purging it with apt-get suggests it (and the icedtea plug-in for Mozilla browsers) suggests 20 Mb of disk space would be freed. The fact that I could purge it at all but that this took icedtea with it suggests it is only used by icedtea, which, as far as I know, is useless without a Mozilla browser.

Those who installed Firefox from Mozilla instead of Iceweasel may now have two copies of XUL. Mastering / remastering isn't simple.

Conclusion is that Chromium is a lot bigger than Iceweasel but not 10 times bigger.

Saw the announcement about this poll over at debian-knoppix so will "byte", in particular because I had just seen Chromium and Knoppix mentioned in the same breath recently..

In attempting to upgrade Iceweasel off of a tiny bit outdated Knoppix version last year (due to a compatibility issue with one domain registrar), I discovered Icecat.. STILL having compatibility issues with same said registrar, BUT *I LOVE ICECAT* otherwise.. As much as anything I think it is because they profess to try to be as purely "free" as possible..

Have tried some of the others like Opera and Seamonkey.. Opera and Seamonkey are "neat" in each their own way because of the bells and whistles their respective communities have developed.. Icecat (installed locally while running off live DVD), though, has and likely will keep my loyalty at this point because of the "free" aspect along with a *cognitive* usability/accessibility factor which is its simpleness..

*Thank you* for asking us.. Warmest wishes from North Georgia..

PS.. For what it's worth, Konqueror is my fallback Choice when I have that now RARE "compatibility" issue with any websites..

Firefox

I've been using Mozilla's navigators since "before" they become that, in fact (remember how Netscape was better that "the other" browser?). I think Chromium is not that faster and lighter when compared to Firefox. Besides, the toolbars are better in Firefox. So: I'll go for Firefox without looking back.
    But if you are thinking lighter, we should consider Seamonkey, Midori or something else, also.

- it is not accessible for blind people with orca.
    This is really bad, especially for the ADRIANE
    CD version where Firefox previously provided a
    good way for browsing graphically and having
    speech output+braille. I realized this only after the
    6.7.0 release of Knoppix.
    This is a big deal. While I use Chromium and like it. I did not know that. Important if you are setting up a system for a company and their HR department or similar policy states that the company must address these things like sight-challenged workers. So for that, I put my vote in for Firefox/Iceweasel.

I feel it is important that the browser on the CD is 'mainstream' &, considering KK's wife is blind, that it is usable by the blind, as this is one of his motivations to keep on working on Knoppix Live Linux.

Most people can use the DVD, so there will always be choice there.

Personally, I like minimalist systems, to the point of using VT's a lot, with the likes of mc, herrie, SC, screen, sqlite, fbi, etc. But when I want the web lynx doesn't cut it for me.

The only thing I would like to see, is a down loadable usb version, so that I can just dd it; & fdisk, format the rest of the drive for personal files.

Other Maybe Opera! works nearly on anything!

-------
    It doesn't make sense to answer in a very old thread.
    wps
    Last edited by Werner P. Schulz; 10-21-2012 at 06:34 PM.