Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Apt-get Thunderbird 1.0-3...was ist los?

Senior Member registered user

More On Dual Boot with T'Bird With Shared Mail Folders

In looking over the link that was posted on how to share Mail Folders using T'Bird in a dual boot computer with T'Bird Windows and T'Bird Debian, I think it might be good to back up a bit.

Instead of installing both T'Birds immediately, I would suggest installing T'Bird for Windows first. Configure it to your heart's content. Import mail folders from Outlook Express. Import the address book too. Get to know the program a little. Use if for a week of so. If you like it, and you most probably will, then install T'Bird for Linux. Just a suggestion.

So, you decided to install T'for Linux too. Good. T'Bird for Linux is going to reference your Windows mail files for the simple reason that Knoppix sees your fat32 drives, but Windows does not see your Knoppix partitions.

Download it and intall it on the Knoppix side. Copy the prefs.js file from T'Bird Windows into your Linux Home directory so you can work on it to modify it. Later, when the mods are finished, you will copy it to your ./Mozilla-Thunderbird directory to replace it.

You can refer to the link that was posted to get an idea of what to do. But the directions are a bit confusing. All the directories mentioned are purely arbitrary!!!!! You directories will probably be COMPLETELY different. His listings are just to give a format to follow, not a literal description.

Instead of following the author's confusing directories, which are totally arbitrary, I just used the

find file command

in Knoppix to find all the files/directories relevant to what he's talking about. Hey, let the computer to the work. Every set up is different anyway, so trying to give examples as to where the files reside is confusing.

You may find the wrong prefs.js file. (I did and now Mozilla mail also shares the same mail folders.

There is one prefs.js file for the Mozilla email program and there is one for T'Bird Linux. The T'Bird Linux one will be in the ./Mozilla-Thunderbird directory. Just let the find file command do the work.

To change the prefs.js for Linux T'Bird you could do it in two steps that would be far simpler than the example used in the link.

1. Find and replace all the directory double \\ entries with a single /. Look at his examples to see what I mean. Look at my example below to give you and idea of how the changes actually look for Knoppix. Get the idea?

2. As you may notice, you have to Knoppix-ize the directories so Knoppix can see them. If the Windows directory is C:\ the Knoppix directory is /mnt/hda1, etc, etc. The author kind of skips over this. I guess he doesn't use Knoppix. Too bad.

NOTE: After I did all that I had to re-install the home URL in the Mozzilla browser. It probably got wiped out when I deleted all the profD entries as the directions in the link state.

I think that by doing this also updates the prefs.js files.

Knoppix/Windows Example From My System To Reference.

The line below points to where the mail folders are stored. (I have them stored in a different partition that the program installation.) Listed is the line for both Windows prefs.js file and the Linux prefs.js file. Note the differences.

Mail Folder line from the prefs.js file in the ./Mozilla-Thunderbird Directory in Knoppix:

user_pref("mail.server.server2.directory", "/mnt/hda8/Tbird Messages/Mail/Local Folders/Inbox.sbd"

Mail Folder line from the prefs.js file in the Windows T'Bird Installation

user_pref("mail.server.server2.directory", "G:\\Tbird Messages\\Mail\\Local Folders\\Inbox.sbd"

See how one uses a drive letter and the other is clearly Knoppix? That's what you have to do for any lines that reference a directory. Not too hard. Just take your time and be complete. When you have modifed your prefs.js file and know it is complete and completely Knoppix-ized just copy it to the /Mozilla-Thunderbird file in Knoppix.

SakiZ

Nice one!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12