Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Knoppix 3.8 released at CeBIT

Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by UnderScore
    > Is there a tutorial which addresses how to use unionfs?
    To my knowledge, there is no simple tutorial or howto for unionfs + knoppix. Sources for info are Linux Journal article on UnionFS
    Could you give any reference?

Quote Originally Posted by UnderScore
    you should either contact Klaus Knopper or Fabian Franz (Knoppix devels) or perhaps contact the UnionFS researchers.
    Is it possible to subscribe to Debian-Knoppix mailing list? I cannot find its web archives ...

Can the unionfs data be written to HDD directly through mount of HDD
    mount your hdd (let's say /mnt/sda1/ )
    create some dir where you want to put the overlay (/mnt/sda1/union)

add the branch
    Code:
    unionctl /UNIONFS/ --add /mnt/sda1/union/
    make the ramdisk read-only to unionfs
    Code:
    unionctl /UNIONFS/ --mode /ramdisk ro
    note:
    /home and /tmp are not mounted in the union, the still point diretly to the ramdisk
    (for whatever reason - maybe someone can clear this up for me)

Junior Member registered user

Knoppix 3.8. Spanish

Knoppix 3.8. CeBIT edition Spanish customization here:

www.knoppix-es.org
    some mirrors.

Regards

Victor Alonso

Senior Member registered user
    General results with UnionFS.

I downloaded ~100MB of applications via -apt-get as follows;

apt-get update

apt-get install (enlightenment,amarok,cinepaint,digikam,festival,g eomview,kweather)

Each app was installed separately.

My RAM at the time was 1GB. The system guard indicated around 719MB in use.

I then installed another 1GB of ram after shutdown.

I attempted to run the CD in toram mode. I received an error message stating that required ram was 2085169K and that I had only 2075112K of ram. It did not load toram. EDIT: This was caused by using a "split".iso DVD+RW disc which created a break in the TORAM loading scripts. The TORAM mode performs well in a normal Knoppix3.8 CD burn. I forgot I was using the "split" version....NEVER MIND!

I then installed 3GB of ram which enabled the loading toram. However, an error occurred in KDEinit which did not initiate the desktop. The error message stated that I was in need of 82MB of ram or some such. EDIT: Again, this occurred with the "split" format of Knoppix3.8.

The strange behavior in loading toram doesn't make much sense. EDIT: Now it does!!

Has anyone a clue to the reason for this? Bad ram? EDIT: Mebbe not!

Evidence provided by the exercises I described indicates the Unionfs might well download into Knoppix3.8CD boots up to 2+GB of apps with a 3GB ram system.

Many of the apps need be obtained from other than Debian sources.

EDIT: If one has many GB's of swap in addition, you can "choke" on the added apps!!!!!

It seems apparent that regardless of the ram size, Unionfs allows swap use.

Provide a big swap file and you get a big download capability.

Language

Below is the isolinux.cfg with the correct changes to make the CD us language and us keyboard. Just replace the the file on the ISO image and joila.

DEFAULT linux
    APPEND ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off vga=791 initrd=minirt.gz nomce quiet BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix
    TIMEOUT 300

PROMPT 1
    DISPLAY boot.msg
    F1 boot.msg
    F2 f2
    F3 f3
    LABEL knoppix
    KERNEL linux
    APPEND ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off vga=791 initrd=minirt.gz nomce quiet BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix
    LABEL expert
    KERNEL linux
    APPEND ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off vga=791 initrd=minirt.gz nomce BOOT_IMAGE=expert
    LABEL memtest
    KERNEL memtest
    APPEND initrd=
    LABEL knoppix-txt
    KERNEL linux
    APPEND ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off vga=normal initrd=minirt.gz nomce quiet BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix
    LABEL debug
    KERNEL linux
    APPEND ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off vga=normal initrd=minirt.gz BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix
    LABEL fb1280x1024
    KERNEL linux
    APPEND ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off vga=794 xmodule=fbdev initrd=minirt.gz nomce quiet BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix
    LABEL fb1024x768
    KERNEL linux
    APPEND ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off vga=791 xmodule=fbdev initrd=minirt.gz nomce quiet BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix
    LABEL fb800x600
    KERNEL linux
    APPEND ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off vga=788 xmodule=fbdev initrd=minirt.gz nomce quiet BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix
    LABEL failsafe
    KERNEL linux
    APPEND ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us vga=normal atapicd nosound noapic noacpi acpi=off nofstab noscsi nodma noapm nousb nopcmcia nofirewire noagp nomce nodhcp xmodule=vesa initrd=minirt.gz BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix
    LABEL userdef
    KERNEL linux
    APPEND ################################################## ################################################## ################################################## ################################################## ################################################## ################################################## ################################################## ################################################## ################################################## ################################################## ###########

MD5 sum for WinKnoppix in English?

Hello! Thank you for making the Win-bootable version of Knoppix 3.8! Do you have the MD5 sum for the Knoppix iso? When I downloaded from torrent, all there was was the ISO itself. This is directed at chris_uk who made the QEMU version, but anyone who has the MD5 (and is *sure* that it comes directly from the original) is welcome to post it. Thx.

Administrator Site Admin-

Re: MD5 sum for WinKnoppix in English?

Quote Originally Posted by kwtm
    ...Do you have the MD5 sum for the Knoppix iso? .....
    The "unauthorized" torent people have unfortunately not been posting one. The good news is that Bittorrent itself does a lot of file checking of what it downloads, and it never tries to translate new lines to CR/LF pairs, so you are much more likely to have a good copy of the ISO when you download by Bittorent than when you get it from the mirrors. That said, I applaud your effort to check the md5 sum. I believe that I have the ISO that you are interested in. Since there was no md5 posted I have created one myself. Note that my CD works but that I don't have the tons of memory needed for the running under windows option, so I can not confirm that that part works. here's what I got when I calculated the MD5 sum:
    -------------
    # MD5 checksums generated by MD5summer (http://www.md5summer.org)
    # Generated 3/26/2005 12:16:43 PM

5ac0c37819e3eef508f9ac51357d7c40 *KNOPPIX_V3.8-2005-02-28-CeBIT_Edition-qemu-0.6.1-2.iso

Re: Knoppix 3.8 for Windows

Quote Originally Posted by chris-uk
    I've put a Knoppix 3.8, modified so it will also run under Windows, in amongst my other torrents at http://home.btconnect.com/chrisandcarolyn/torrents/. It is set up for US English by default.
    Looks like this if you 'autorun' it

Normal Knoppix if you boot it.
    There's some problem with the seed. I could only download 99.6% of it.
    Please advise...

Jason

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast