Quote Originally Posted by ottosykora
>quote="Mustang64"]Trying to install "over windoze", or using any "microshaft" software, is not the issue. I have several "other" linux distro's installed. I just want to install Knoppix without the automatic install of Lilo or Grub.<

so completely without lilo or grub , well I think this might not work. At least in the knoppix own boot pratition (or root perhaps) you will have to install the lilo.
After that you have to add the partition to the menu of your grub and all should go.
Grub can load both the kernel and the initrd (initial ramdisk) with all the kernel options from the menu.lst OR from the command line prompt (entered by typing the "C" key form the grub menu). Grub can read the kernel and initrd files from various file systems and storage media: fat, ext, cdrom, ntfs, floppy, hd, usb dongle, ... As an other option grub can load and transfert the control to the bootlader of a partition of a mass memory device. And in that case you want to have lilo or an other bootloader to be stored in the boot sectors of that partition. This is really up to you. Hope this helps. Gilles