Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fonts to small and my default lang is not what it should be

Fonts to small and my default lang is not what it should be

I have a couple of problems / challanges with Knoppix. I Installed Knoppix to the hard drive. I believe it was the march or april release.
    1. The mose annoying problem is with KDE. I'm running 1024x768 and the fonts are some small I care hardly read them. Not all fonts are this way. The fonts under the desktop icons are just fine as are the fonts in the directory listing and the terminal sessions. The font's I'm having the most trouble with are the fonts associated with mozilla. The fonts on the address line are so small I can hardly read them and I haven't found where I can change the size of these fonts. Also the fonts with in evolution mail program are small all over I have to zoom in on every note I want to read as the text fonts are to small.

2. The second problem is Knoppix thinking I'm German. when I did the install to the hard drive I booted with LANG=us. But now a lot of apps seem to think my langage of choice is German and sometimes French. Where / what do I need to chagne so my default lang for all apps is English?

Thanks
    Mike M.

Senior Member registered user

Re: Fonts to small and my default lang is not what it should

Quote Originally Posted by mchester
    I have a couple of problems / challanges with Knoppix. I Installed Knoppix to the hard drive. I believe it was the march or april release.
    Uhhh...well that could be any number of releases actually. I would recommend using the latest which is 6-6-03. Oh and for future reference- try to be specific with any questions or it makes it rather difficult to help you.

1. The mose annoying problem is with KDE. I'm running 1024x768 and the fonts are some small I care hardly read them. Not all fonts are this way. The fonts under the desktop icons are just fine as are the fonts in the directory listing and the terminal sessions. The font's I'm having the most trouble with are the fonts associated with mozilla. The fonts on the address line are so small I can hardly read them and I haven't found where I can change the size of these fonts. Also the fonts with in evolution mail program are small all over I have to zoom in on every note I want to read as the text fonts are to small.
    Kmenu>Setting>ControlCenter

2. The second problem is Knoppix thinking I'm German. when I did the install to the hard drive I booted with LANG=us. But now a lot of apps seem to think my langage of choice is German and sometimes French. Where / what do I need to chagne so my default lang for all apps is English?
    Do a search- read the documentation (link on top of the page) this has all been answered before. There are posts and/or how-to's on how to change your fonts, your keyboard layout, etc.

Kmenu>Setting>ControlCenter DONE that.

Do a search- read the documentation (link on top of the page) this has all been answered before. There are posts and/or how-to's on how to change your fonts, your keyboard layout, etc.

Done that also.
    Just a little FYI:
    I have been a Linux user mostly Redhat Since 1998. I have just recently started using Debian.

Note the problem with with Mozilla is.

Trying to be specific with any questions
    The fonts (the characters) on the bar just below the Mozilla Window frame at the top of the Mozilla window. Sometimes I've head it called a toolbar. The fonts are just barly readable. Readable meaning that I can make out what the word says. The fonts (words) in the little white bar, where you see things like http://www.knoppix.net On my version of Mozilla it is next to the icons, directional buttons (little pictures showing arrows pointing left right and X) . These fonts are smaller than the toolbar fonts.

I have RTFM and still have a problem. Maybe it's with Debian or KDE as I don't have this issue with Gnome. Nor do I see it on any of my other bootable partitions (I have three bootable partitions on this system Redhat, slackware and Knoppix/Debian.) That was quite a trick but I was able to figure that all by myself reading and searching the Internet. That was the first thing I learned when learning Linux search the web for answers (that's how I found this group) and the other thing I learned that a typical unhelpful response of READ THE DOCUMENTATION I have found to be a typical answer for someone that just likes to appear to know what they are talking about.

Let me see if I understand you . I could download or buy the latest Knoppix and reinstall it, OK. Now my question to you. Why? I have Debian/Knoppix now and can do apt-get update (to update my apt-get cache (a list of all deb files found in my /etc/apt/resources.list) and do apt-get upgrade. How would reinstalling Knoppix be any different?

Sorry if I didn't make all of that clear in my first post. I hope it's clearer now and you will understand I have reached the end of the internet trying to resovle this. I can make most of the fonts on my system as big as I want but the one in Mozilla seem to have a set size in KDE.

If you don't feel like responding to this post I will understand, I may have been kind of a SA but then that's kinda how I feel when people post Read the Documentation unless of course it's a like to some document hidden deep with the internet and away from all search engines. There are just somethings that aren't in documents that can only be gotten from experienced / knowledgable users, That's the kind of information I'm mining for here.

P.S. If I missed anyting proof reading that's because I left my magnifying glass at work [/quote]

Quote Originally Posted by mchester
    Kmenu>Setting>ControlCenter DONE that.

Done that also.
    Just a little FYI:
    I have been a Linux user mostly Redhat Since 1998. I have just recently started using Debian.

Note the problem with with Mozilla is.
    From the Documentation:

Q: I've installed Knoppix 3.1 EN 1/20/03 to my hdd and default language and keyboard setting is German. How do I change to US EN? I've changed kde by fumbling through what I remembered of KDE Control Center; but keyboard is still in German with some of the keys in different places.
    A: Right click on the German flag in the system tray of the taskbar and choose configure from the menu and set the keyboard to the layout you want to use.

OK anybody could have missed it right? Even though it's right there in the docs.

Trying to be specific with any questions
    The fonts (the characters) on the bar just below the Mozilla Window frame at the top of the Mozilla window. Sometimes I've head it called a toolbar. The fonts are just barly readable. Readable meaning that I can make out what the word says. The fonts (words) in the little white bar, where you see things like http://www.knoppix.net On my version of Mozilla it is next to the icons, directional buttons (little pictures showing arrows pointing left right and X) . These fonts are smaller than the toolbar fonts.
    Hey you're a funny guy- you should give up your day job and provide laughs for everyone instead. What I was referring to was your comment

I believe it was the march or april release.
    I'd say that wasn't at all specific but rather vague wouldn't you agree?

I have RTFM and still have a problem. Maybe it's with Debian or KDE as I don't have this issue with Gnome. Nor do I see it on any of my other bootable partitions (I have three bootable partitions on this system Redhat, slackware and Knoppix/Debian.) That was quite a trick but I was able to figure that all by myself reading and searching the Internet. That was the first thing I learned when learning Linux search the web for answers (that's how I found this group) and the other thing I learned that a typical unhelpful response of READ THE DOCUMENTATION I have found to be a typical answer for someone that just likes to appear to know what they are talking about.
    Think what you will- it doesn't mean that much to me to mean that much to you.

Let me see if I understand you . I could download or buy the latest Knoppix and reinstall it, OK. Now my question to you. Why? I have Debian/Knoppix now and can do apt-get update (to update my apt-get cache (a list of all deb files found in my /etc/apt/resources.list) and do apt-get upgrade. How would reinstalling Knoppix be any different?
    It might not make a bit of difference whatsoever but realize that you are looking at a distro that comes out with a new release every few weeks! What could change?-oh I dunno- better hardware detection, BETTER FONTS!!, etc.

Sorry if I didn't make all of that clear in my first post. I hope it's clearer now and you will understand I have reached the end of the internet trying to resovle this. I can make most of the fonts on my system as big as I want but the one in Mozilla seem to have a set size in KDE.
    It took me all of 15 seconds to find this post about how to install fonts.

If you don't feel like responding to this post I will understand, I may have been kind of a SA but then that's kinda how I feel when people post Read the Documentation unless of course it's a like to some document hidden deep with the internet and away from all search engines. There are just somethings that aren't in documents that can only be gotten from experienced / knowledgable users, That's the kind of information I'm mining for here.

P.S. If I missed anyting proof reading that's because I left my magnifying glass at work
    So now are you happy that you got someone to find what you needed for you? Isn't it interesting how all you needed to do was go to the Control Center? IIRC I pointed you there didn't I? Huh- if you'd have just taken my advice and put your typing skills to use elsewhere instead of flapping your jaw you could have already had all your fonts fixed and figured out how to change your keyboard too!

A: Right click on the German flag in the system tray of the taskbar and choose configure from the menu and set the keyboard to the layout you want to use.

OK anybody could have missed it right? Even though it's right there in the docs.
    Ya, guess they could have, but I'm not any buddy. That was the first thing I tried but guess what some applications still for some reason think my default language was French or German (see screen shot 2 below). Lynx would display pages in German, and since some of these applications were not run from with in KDE or Gnome. (Yes I use term a lot). The little flag icon located at the bottom right of my screen had no bearing on that.

No. If I had not loaned the CD to someone that was interested in trying Knoppix I would say that I could have posted the exact release date information information but since I didn't recored the release date (something I always write on the CD) before giving the CD away I gave you all I could remember. It wasn't vague information it was all the information I have about the release date.

It might not make a bit of difference whatsoever but realize that you are looking at a distro that comes out with a new release every few weeks! What could change?-oh I dunno- better hardware detection, BETTER FONTS!!, etc.
    Well duh! But the way I understand it if you boot from the cd you are running Knoppix. However if you install to the hard drive which I have you are then running Debian. Oh and explain to me again how hardware will cause the applications under one window manager to be different another window manager running on the same hardware? I guess in all my years of doing support on a variety of OS's I have missed that. Remember I said that Mozilla runs just fine under Gnome but the Fonts in KDE I can not change. Now see I would have checked the window manager first before mucking with the XF86Config-4 file. Unless both window managers were having problems or let's say the X server was totally dead. Or I just felt like abusing myself. Been there and done that.

Here's a screen shot to show you what I'm talking about

Well thanks, but I guess you missed the part about

Done that also.

I've checked my /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 and checked (as root) the fonts that are installed in KDE, I've tested with Redhat, Slackware, Knoppix/Debian with both Gnome and KDE. Checked my .Xdefaults file in my home dir. I've went into Control Center -> Internet & Network -> web browser -> fonts and increased the minimum font size. Changed Font size adjustment for this encoding. I've searched www.google.com/linux. I've posted to our local slug group. Subscribed to the Debian mailing list. Lets see what else have I done. I've taken my video card our and cleaned of all the dust (just kidding about that one) . I dont' think I forgot anything.

I was hoping to find someone here that had experienced the same problem and know what the fix was. Guess that didn't happen. I wasn't looking for a canned "Read the Document" reply. No reply would have been better. It would have saved bandwidth and had I not already searched the documents and other resources I may have been forced to if no one had responded. I thought the spirit of open source was to help you fellow user and not insult their intelligence. I wonder how far we would be with Linux if every time Linus or one of the Kernel developers posted to the Kernel group and the responses was "Read the Document".

If I could speak German I would tell you what version of Linux I was running.

See screen shot

'Nuf said. Thanks for taking up so much of my time for Not!.

I couldn't find my previous posts regarding changing your console environment from german to english. I'm sure if you run env from your console you'll see lang=de_?? you need to set the proper language environment which is somewhere in /etc/sysconfig, poke around in there as I don't have a running knoppix up right now, you could try export LANG=en_US (you will need to do that in your .bashrc and .profile files). When I was running a knoppix hdinstall I fixed this problem on my system but I don't have it up anymore.

Sorry I can't help you anymore now, I have to run.

--rock

Control Center>Regional & Accessability>Region&Language

ControlCenter>Regional & Accessability>Keyboard Layout

I'll give you credit on the Mozilla font thing.
    Edit>Prefernces>Fonts and still they look like s**t. Just another of the multitude of reasons I don't use that browser.

If I could speak German I would tell you what version of Linux I was running.
    Try uname -a

--Rick, back off a little will ya? You don't need to get all BOFH on the poor guy, he's just askin' for help. We don't need a flamewar on the SUPPORT board...

(Believe me, I've been in my share of them. Ex-member of VROC motorcycle club.)

--The guy is honestly trying to use and distribute Knoppix to his friends, not be a PITA. Let's try and be a bit more understanding and make this a better world, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by rickenbacherus
    Hey you're a funny guy- you should give up your day job and provide laughs for everyone instead. What I was referring to was your comment

I believe it was the march or april release.

Think what you will- it doesn't mean that much to me to mean that much to you.

P.S. If I missed anyting proof reading that's because I left my magnifying glass at work
    So now are you happy that you got someone to find what you needed for you? Isn't it interesting how all you needed to do was go to the Control Center? IIRC I pointed you there didn't I? Huh- if you'd have just taken my advice and put your typing skills to use elsewhere instead of flapping your jaw you could have already had all your fonts fixed and figured out how to change your keyboard too!

RockMumbles;
    Thanks for the reply. I did a search on Lang and found where you can make some changes to the /ect/sysconfig.
    LANG="en_US"
    COUNTRY="us"
    LANG="en_US"
    LANGUAGE="en"
    CHARSET="iso8859-1"
    XMODIFIERS=""
    I made the above change and did a reboot as was suggested, then deleted my .kde dir and let KDE configure it's self again. But my mahcine still wants to speak german on some commands from the xshell. This is starting to frustrate me so I'm about ready to just remove Knoppix and go with streight Debian Woody. Any more ideas on how to get my machine to speak English?
    I even tried playing around with the LANG shell veriable and exporting LANG. I tried us, US,ENG,eng, en_US but nothging seems to work

Thnaks again
    Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast