View Poll Results: Did this procedure work for you?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

31 73.81%
  • No

11 26.19%
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: [HOWTO]: Dual-boot Knoppix with Windows NT/2000/XP

Senior Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by odinriko
    Is there any way to install knoppix without a floppy drive? I have a burner, but would rather not waste a cd on a 1.4 meg file...
    Yes, there are multiple ways, depending on your system configuration. I have a JVC sub-notebook which is legacy free and no CD-ROM/DVD and I have successfully installed(poorman's) knoppix on it. It is done with my little w32grub utility. But can also be done through a USB CF reader acting as the boot device.

Junior Member registered user

Upgrading the Kernel

So, quite a long time ago, I used this procedure to get my desktop dual-booting, and it's worked like a charm.

However, it's now time to compile a new kernel (which I've never done before, but I think i'm ready for).

From the stuff online I've read, it seems like a new kernel (or it's configuration utilities) might change LILO. Since my LILO is in a non-standard location (because of this installation), will I have problems upgrading my kernel? Will it try to install LILO into the first hard-drive's MBR?

Thank you in advance for any help.

*bump*

Does anyone have a quick answer for my question above? Thank you in advance.

Re: Upgrading the Kernel

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox
    So, quite a long time ago, I used this procedure to get my desktop dual-booting, and it's worked like a charm.

However, it's now time to compile a new kernel (which I've never done before, but I think i'm ready for).

From the stuff online I've read, it seems like a new kernel (or it's configuration utilities) might change LILO. Since my LILO is in a non-standard location (because of this installation), will I have problems upgrading my kernel? Will it try to install LILO into the first hard-drive's MBR?

Thank you in advance for any help.
    Using the make-kpkg and installing wtih dpkg -i kernel-image-?????.deb will give you the choice to install lilo with the existing lilo configuration to the boot block I have never declined the offer but if you say no then the changes will not be written to the disk and I believe you have to set up lilo yourself there may be an extra option as to where to install lilo that comes up next but as I say I never said no so I'm not sure about that. Now if you already have boot=/dev/hd?3 for instance in your lilo.conf it should install the lilo there like it always has or you could install it later if you declined during install with /sbin/lilo -v -b /dev/hd?3 to install it where you want to.

Thanks for the tip, Stephen.

I used make-kpkg and installed, but told it not to interfere with lilo.

I then went into /boot and changed the symbolic links of vmlinuz and System.map to point to the newer kernel.

Next, I went into lilo.conf and modified the main OS load section to read:
    Code:
    default=Linux

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.0-test9
    	label=Linux
    	initrd=/initrd.img
    	read-only
    #	restricted
    #	alias=1

# image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.22-xfs
    #	label=Linux
    #	initrd=/boot/initrd.gz
    #	read-only
    #	restricted
    #	alias=1
    (my old kernel path is commented out below it)

I then ran lilo -P ignore (it warned me on my first run that without the -P ignore it would overwrite into the first hard drive, which is what I don't want).
    However, by lilo.conf DOES have the lines boot=/dev/hdd2 and root=/dev/hdd2

In any case, I then restarted by computer. BIOS goes fine, Windows MBR still shows linux option, I choose it. Lilo comes up with the proper options.

I choose Linux. It says Loading Linux............................................. .................................................. ................................., then sayd a check was okay, and then:

The screen goes black and it stops. (Thank god for my rescue boot floppy)

Any clue what might be wrong? Bad kernel options? Misapplied Lilo?

Thanks in advance! I figure if I can get this working, I can post up a nice easy HOW-TO for people who followed this procedure to install their Linux.

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox
    Thanks for the tip, Stephen.

I used make-kpkg and installed, but told it not to interfere with lilo.

I then went into /boot and changed the symbolic links of vmlinuz and System.map to point to the newer kernel.

Next, I went into lilo.conf and modified the main OS load section to read:
    Code:
    default=Linux

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.0-test9
    	label=Linux
    	initrd=/initrd.img
    	read-only
    #	restricted
    #	alias=1

# image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.22-xfs
    #	label=Linux
    #	initrd=/boot/initrd.gz
    #	read-only
    #	restricted
    #	alias=1
    (my old kernel path is commented out below it)

I then ran lilo -P ignore (it warned me on my first run that without the -P ignore it would overwrite into the first hard drive, which is what I don't want).
    However, by lilo.conf DOES have the lines boot=/dev/hdd2 and root=/dev/hdd2
    I think I must have been wrong there then Lilo must by default write to the MBR and you must have to use the -b /dev/hd?? everytime to tell it to write to the / partition you want it to use. It seems strange though because every time I install a new kernel on my second drive Lilo always complains that the /dev/hdb that is the boot is not on the first drive in the system but it is installing into the MBR of the second drive there so thats probably the difference.
    In any case, I then restarted by computer. BIOS goes fine, Windows MBR still shows linux option, I choose it. Lilo comes up with the proper options.

I choose Linux. It says Loading Linux............................................. .................................................. ................................., then sayd a check was okay, and then:

The screen goes black and it stops. (Thank god for my rescue boot floppy)

Any clue what might be wrong? Bad kernel options? Misapplied Lilo?

Thanks in advance! I figure if I can get this working, I can post up a nice easy HOW-TO for people who followed this procedure to install their Linux.
    That looks like you left out the support or choose both options for the framebuffer when you get to the lilo boot screen you should be able to start typing in Linux vga=normal to boot with the framebuffer turned off. If you want to look at my config for test9 you can see it here IIRC it is the CONFIG_FB_VGA16 or something like that, that you want not set and you have to have the console fonts compiled into the kernel for it to work. BTW there is no need to comment out a working kernel in the lilo.conf just name it LinuxOld and you will still have the opportunity to boot the old working kernel.

This post is my first and regarding
    "Ok, I just confirmed that this procedure works. Tried it on TWO PC's. One XP, the other 2000......."

I am having 2 harddisks on 2 different IDE channels.
    On primary IDE channel there is already HDDA with XP and 2K Multiboot on 2 parititions. On secondary IDE channel there is HDDB with 3 partitions of which 2 have a lot of data and one free to be split for ext3 and swap (Knoppix Partition say)

Now I dont want LILO and GRUB.
    I want to go with "XP Bootloader and add C:\bootsect.knx = "Knoppix" " idea.

Now does this method really work if NTDLR and Knoppix installation are on "different IDE channels" and "different HDDs" and "different parititions"

If it wont work I would rather try if my BIOS lets me switch which IDE to boot from (without boot.ini changes ofcourse)..... but that is a pain everytime to press DEL / F2 !!!

I am anyway gonna go till "Knoppix Installation on my Knoppix Partition" and wait till I find if doing the copy/boot.ini stuff will not SURPRSIE me with huge data loss.

Is there someone who has already tried such a combination ?

Gruss
    Bala

Re: [HOWTO]: Dual-boot Knoppix with Windows NT/2000/XP

Hi all-
    Thanks for the great step-by-step tutorial on this. With a few tweeks, it got me up and running! You folks rock! I've quoted jdong's method and noted my tweeks to the process.

FWIW, I have three drives on my machine:

hd0 is for Win2k, split into an OS partition and a data/apps partition, both set up with FAT32

hd1 is a data storage drive with two large partitions formatted FAT32, but also holds a pair of 2G partitions for Win2k's (also FAT32) and Linux's swap files (formatted as Linux swap--go figure...javascript:emoticon(''))

hd2 is the Linux drive, with three partitions, one formatted ext3 for /, one that's currently not formatted, but will be formatted ext3 for /home when I'm done setting this up, and one 750M slice formatted FAT32 and named /CD_PREP for prepping CDs, which I will make visible to both Win2k and Linux.

I'm installing in place of RH9, but repartitioned to use no /boot partition per the Knoppix setup, as I am enough of a noobie at this to not want to mess with the stock Knoppix partitioning for the boot/OS areas. I will be pointing Knoppix at the /home, though, as I want to be able to keep that separate from the boot/OS partition....

This worked for me, but may not be advisable for those working with NTFS on their Windows partition. I used FAT32 because, when I installed Windows and RH Linux last year, there was an issue over whether Linux could read and write NTFS. If you feel comfortable with the recent NTFS rw ability that has been mentioned lately on some sites, try it. I'd back up that NTFS partition first, if it were me, though.... I plan to reformat my /CD_PREP partition as NTFS and experiment there first, since it's not critical and won't crash the Win2k OS.

Anywho, here goes:

Quote Originally Posted by jdong
    Ok, I just confirmed that this procedure works. Tried it on TWO PC's. One XP, the other 2000.

This procedure will install a 'true' dual-boot of Knoppix. Not poor-man's install, REAL dual-boot. Plus, with the help of some free tools, you can do it without damage to your data.... Here it goes...

(Expected System Configuration, modify if needed): 2 physical Hard disks. C:\ drive is NTFS with Win NT/2k/XP installed. D:\ drive is empty.

(1) MOST IMPORTANT: Make backups of all your important data. Imagine that all your data is gone. Think about what you need to backup. Although this procedure shouldn't cause any data loss, when you're doing something of this magnitude (messing with partitions and installing new OS), you should backup. Not to mention that you should REGULARLY backup!!

(2) Create an 'ERD' (Emergency Repair Disk). This can restore your MBR in case you really goof! The process depends on your OS:
    (2a) Windows NT 4: Run 'RDISK.exe'.
    (2b) Win 2000 and XP: Start the Windows Backup tool, then choose 'Emergency Repair Disk'. XP/2k users have the Recovery Console and FIXMBR, plus XP users have a 'repair install' mode, so an ERD isn't too necessary for them.

(3) Boot the Knoppix CD.

(4) Start a Terminal session.

(5) Type in sudo knx-hdinstall (yes, use this older install script. From my experience, it's more stable/reliable.)

(6) Next, partition your /dev/hdb. I'm no Linux partition expert, so I just make a 300MB swap partition and use the remaining space for a Linux partition.

(7) The steps from here to after files copy should be self-explanatory.

( Once you get to the prompt 'Install LILO into MBR?', make sure you answer NO. Failure to do so could mean that your Windows boot partition will be removed, and you'll have to use your ERB/ Recovery Console.

(9) When prompted to make a boot floppy, make sure you make a boot floppy!. It's REQUIRED in a later step.

(10) Once Knoppix setup is done, remove the floppy and reboot. Make sure Windows still works. After doing so, pat yourself on the back... the hardest part is over!!

(11) Next, start up your computer from the boot floppy. It should load the copy of Knoppix that you just installed. If this works, then pat yourself on the back again! You're almost done!

(12) Once Knoppix is running, get to a console/terminal again. Make sure your boot floppy is still inserted!

(13) Issue the command dd if=/dev/hdx# of=/bootsect.knx bs=512 count=1. This will copy the Linux bootsector to a file. Replace hdx# with your installation partition (like hdb2)
    At this point, I varied from the instructions on the second attempt to set up the bootloader....

What I did instead:
    (14) Mount the C:\ drive partition in the Konqueror file browser

(15) Edit Boot.ini in KWrite as stated in (20) above.

(16) Save the file. Reboot.

(17) It should now offer Windows or Knoppix on bootup.

Thanks for the help, you saved my weekend!!! javascript:emoticon('')

C ya,
    Dutch

Bwah ... virgin Linux user having problems.

Hey... this is my first experience with Linux -- a friend gave me a Knoppix Live CD and I had an older system lying around and thought it would be slick to learn something new, so I installed it to the HD yesterday.

I read up on types of installation procedures, partitions, etc., and although I'm sure I didn't do it as a pro would, I figured my setup would at least allow me to cut my teeth to a degree on Linux. So I went ahead a partioned my 15gb HD, making a 500mb swap partition first, a 5gb partition to Debian/Knoppix on the HD second, and a third and final partition for my WinXP (at the moment, I'm viewing this as my life-preserver). The Linux partition is ext3, and the WinXP partition is ntfs.

-= So, just to be clear, I believe I currently have this setup: /dev/hda1 is Linux swap, /dev/hda2 is Linux install, and /dev/hda3 is my ntfs WinXP, correct? =-

Long story short, for whatever reason my WinXP part came out as "Drive G:", my CD writer and second CD drive are "Drives E & F," and I've installed Ext2IFS v0.3, so my Linux partitions show up as "C & D." Weird and a bit clumsy, but for right now it'll do.

Now, I opted to try the initial version of a dual boot as outlined by this guide, and declined any installation of LILO into the MBR. Unfortunately, at this point I can only boot Knoppix from the ERDisk created during installation as the dual boot guide, when followed to the best of my ability, leaves me with this Windows error message when I try to initialize Knoppix from the bootload screen: " ... Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem. Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and hardware ..." Currently, my boot.ini file has been modified with this line here; "g:\bootsect.knx = "Knoppix"", referencing my copied bootsect.knx file sitting in the root of my WinXP partition (g:\).

When checked, it reveals that the WinXP partition is set as the bootable partition ... other than that, I'm not sure what to look for, or what to change to get this to work?! Luckily, this system up to now has been unused so I don't have anything to worry about saving on the system should a full reinstall of Knoppix/WinXP be necessary.

If anyone of you fine Linux chaps could assist me, I would very much appreciate it! I'm excited to see what this world looks like from behind a different set of looking glasses (non-M$, if you take my meaning). Thanks again for being such ahelpful community to us Linux newbs!

Thx

BLO

ok thanks for all of this...
    but...i have problem with this...everything worked fine untill i got to line (13)
    and i got this!

root@blento:/# dd if=/dev/hd7# of=/bootsect.knx bs=512 count=1
    dd: opening `/dev/hd7#': No such file or directory
    root@blento:/#

I have one HD 120 GB hd,
    windows parttions- C (hda1),D(hda5) and E(hda6)
    linux parttions hda6, hda7 (swap), and hda8
    i installed knoppix on hda6, and i didnt marked that as boot since i read somewhere
    that windows only like one boot partition (C
    i tryed to change that and to put hda7 to boot, with fdisk in linux, but i dont know did
    it worked?
    i tryed even this:

root@blento:/# dd of=/bootsect.knx bs=512 count=1
    0+1 records in
    0+1 records out
    1 bytes transferred in 2.600328 seconds (0 bytes/sec)
    root@blento:/#
    and then i did like it said from 14 to 23...but bood of linux didnt work.
    can you help me?
    I mounted all partitions and its not a problem...

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast