Thread: Knoppix install to HD and Knoppix Live

Knoppix install to HD and Knoppix Live

Does Knoppix have a simple HD install cd? I know that Knoppix is based on Debian operating system. And some people just install Debian. But Debian operating system is hard to install and Knoppix has all of the great utils and files that everyone wants so it would be great to have an easy install of knoppix to the HD.
    Thanks
    Omega99

update

It would be nice to have the option to run live cd or install on HD with the next version of Knoppix

http://www.freenet.org.nz/misc/knoppix-install.html

INSTALLATION
    General Information
    sudoing
    First of all for security reason all accounts are blocked - ie you can't log in to any account. To run things as a root the user 'knoppix' is allowed to sudo - ie to run things as a root.
    script
    Christian Perle provided us a script to copy and define knoppix to a "prepared partition" in your disk. But first we have to set an empty partition on our disk.
    Preparing a New Partition
    partitioning the disk
    Backup your data. Use parted /dev/DESIRED_DISK(hda,hdb...) use ? to get commands resize partitions to create free space and make a new ext3 partition
    Activating the script
    Open a terminal and enter: sudo knx-hdinstall and follow the instructions on screen.
    Questions
    Q: Why does "df" not list my root partition ("/")?
    A: The entry for "/" is somehow missing in /etc/mtab. Either edit that file and add a correct line for "/" or better replace /etc/mtab with a link to /proc/mounts, thn everything should be shown. su -c "ln -sf /proc/mounts /etc/mtab"
    Q: Why is DMA disabled by default and how do i enable it
    A: Some chipsets and/or harddiscs are broken or buggy. Using DMA would cause problems on such systems. If your system works properly with DMA, you can enable it with it by typing "/sbin/hdparm -c3 -d1 -m16 -k1 /dev/hda" or by editing the "/etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh" startup script and uncommenting the hdparm -qd1 /dev/hda line to have it permanently on at reboot, if the line is not there add it. Read more: http://linux.oreillynet.com/pub/a/li...29/hdparm.html
    Q: How do I test the downloaded ISO file ?"
    A: You can use md5sum -c filename.md5 in Linux or http://www.toast442.org/md5gui.shtml for windows.
    Q: How do I install Knoppix over a Network?
    A: HowtoInstallOverNet
    Q: Is there a way that does not use so much space?
    A: There is the "poorman's install", where you can copy some files from the CD to the harddisk. It will run like from CD, but the CDROM is free for other use and its a bit faster. Although you'll need a bootfloppy or change the BIOS options to boot first the hard disk with Knoppix (i.e. the second hard disk or d: unit).
    Q: Why doesn't my sound work now?
    A: Just run "/etc/init.d/alsa-autoconfig" as root once and you'll be fixed up nicely. To have the sound levels set at boot (alsa defaults to muted) edit the file "/etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh" and add aumix -w 75 -v 75 to the bottom of the file.
    Q: How to install gnome2 ?
    A: Comment all the lines in /etc/apt/sources.list except by the unstable ones.
    #apt-get update
    # apt-get install gnome
    In order to have gnome-session working you must exec
    # update-alternatives --config x-window-manager
    and choose metacity
    optionally you can also install gdm, galeon, evolution, etc