Couple of suggestions:

Try:
o boot: ' fb800x600 vga=normal xvrefresh=50 '
o boot: ' vga=normal xserver=XF86_SVGA '

o Attach an external monitor and try booting first w/o options, then with options if it still fails.

--Go to the toshiba website and search around a bit, especially for anything related to linux. Laptop should still be under warranty; maybe you can call tech support(?) Altho they may be of limited help with linux, and even less so with Knoppix.

--It may just be "too-new syndrome". Linux usually works better with *older or less-than-newest* hardware, because it takes time to write drivers and test them. (Sometimes hardware + linux == the older, the better.)

--If all else fails, maybe backup your important data and return the machine. Shop around for one that works with Knoppix by asking salesppl if you can boot the CD. Carry CASH IN HAND and say that if everything works OK you will buy the laptop right then and there. Ask for the manager if you get the runaround, and act confident. Cash works wonders.

--As always, post results...

Quote Originally Posted by nerbas
nope.

As I understood the option "failsafe": it doesn't go through the hardware detection things - and not even failsafe starts the Laptop...

Anyway, I explicitly tried all the no* (e.g. nousb) options but no success...

btw, there's a thread in the german forum (yes, it's in german ) and the gist of it is: no solution either, maybe it's the nVidia Graphics driver kernel module... any gurus here to help me out? I wouldn't know how to change this...

There's a page for all the Toshiba 2410 users out there concerning Linux on Toshiba Satellite 2410 - the hardware is quite similar, but this page didn't help me out with knoppix... <sigh>

Any other suggestions?

-Dan.