Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VNC?

Senior Member registered user

VNC?

I just figured out that VNC is included in KNOPPIX! This sounds very interesting. I'm curious how people are using VNC in KNOPPIX and how successful you've been.

I was playing with <K><System><Desktop Sharing> and <K><Internet><Remote Desktop Connection> to get 2 players on one xboard from 2 PCs. I seemed to be able to remotely connect to one PC's desktop from another whereby both users have keyboard/mouse control of the same desktop. I get as far a clicking <K> remotely to try to start an xboard game and then the connection times-out....

TIA,
    AJG

I have a VNC server on an old computer that I bought of ebay to play old games with. It didn't come with a monitor and its a hassle to switch mine to it. So I just boot it up then connect to it via VNC.

for me VNC doesn't handle full screen programs and always locks up on me but its great for just about everything else.

I'm using VNC already 4 years. (under windoze).
    But now with the latest knoppix releases it really rocks.

VNC can now be installed as a service on MS pc's.
    This means from within the company a remote connection system hosted by RSA-server is in place ,to perform safe connection.
    On top of that is a VPN tunneling in place based on CISCO.

Well, from my knoppix anywhere on the net I can do a connection trough my router at home (using IPSEC for VPN) using the VPN cisco client present on the knoppix cd . And connect then with VNC to my MS desktop in order to work.
    So on the job I can have a powerfull pc for running all sorts of apps.
    And at home I take on old pentium without harddisk and so on (just enough to run knoppix KDE).
    And voila,

For a cheap price I got teleworking at home running apps at a good speed.

Damn .. it reminds me more and more of terminal-server enviroments like in the old days ...

As well as KDE's desktop sharing/remote desktop connection, you can use the Debian TightVNC package.

KDE's VNC is nice in that you can view/share display:0, but I haven't yet figured out how to manaully set a connection window of more than an hour nor how to set the password to one of my choosing :(

For the above reasons I often just use the Debian TightVNC binaries...

firebyrd10: I'm confused, you say that VNC locks up on full-screen apps but is fine for everything else. I thought VNC was intended for such apps! What do you mean by everything else?

ktheking: You say that ever since the latest KNOPPIX release, VNC rocks! Does that mean that earlier releases had bugs in VNC? I've been using a 2003.1119 debian hdinstall ever since that ISO came out with no need to upgrade until perhaps now. Do you recommend that I upgrade to the latest ISO?

c123: OK, so what I'm using is a KDE version of VNC, not true VNC? You recommend I try the Debian TightVNC binaries. Can I install this with apt-get? Also, do I understand you correctly: TightVNC makes it easy to set the timeout and the password? What if I want to take control of a student's desktop remotely (from mine), can I do this without his/her permission maybe as root?

Thanx for all your input gentlemen, this is sounding more and more promising all the time!

TIA,
    AJG

What I'm taking about is more or less games that take control of the entire screen not apps that enlarge to cover the entire screen (get it?)

As for useing a differnt VNC program I use RealVNC. Unlike desktop sharing it never times out and you can set passwords.

Only problem is you can't share display :0 (the one that basic users use)

However you can do cross system controls (windows to linux, linux to windows, etc) which I don't think you can do with Desktop sharing. ANd yes, you could take control of a student PC without there permission.

But I think that RealVNC's beta version is useing a hack to let it display :0

As long as on the topic what is the 0 and the .0 in :0.0 IN detail please

Quote Originally Posted by A. Jorge Garcia
    c123: OK, so what I'm using is a KDE version of VNC, not true VNC? You recommend I try the Debian TightVNC binaries. Can I install this with apt-get? Also, do I understand you correctly: TightVNC makes it easy to set the timeout and the password? What if I want to take control of a student's desktop remotely (from mine), can I do this without his/her permission maybe as root?

Thanx for all your input gentlemen, this is sounding more and more promising all the time!

TIA,
    AJG
    VNC was originally developed in the Olivetti research labs in the UK. The original developers stopped working on it at one stage. Then a few differnent groups of developers continued development (VNC is open-source), this led to several versions including TridiaVNC and TightVNC. Then the original developers started doing VNC again, this time under the new name 'RealVNC'. So what I'm saying is that there is no longer a 'true' VNC, just several different variants (which are still inter-operable BTW).

Personally and in general, for multi OS environments, I'd suggest using TightVNC or RealVNC. I like TightVNC (good compression schemes), but I'm also looking at the betas of the new RealVNC version (very promising). I subscribe to both mailing lists.

For a standard KDE (Knoppix) user , KDE desktop sharing is good as it's a KDE app and it allows you to see display:0. With other versions of VNC you generally cannot (without an xserver hack) see display:0. Display:0 is the one that the current user is looking at. I.e. with most VNC versions on Linux you cannot really share a desktop :(

However there are two limitations to KDE desktop sharing that annoy me - the fact you cannot set the password, and that the connection window is 1 hour only (i.e. if you do not connect within the hour, the invitation is no longer valid - you can no longer connect). Also KDE desktop sharing uses version 3.5 of the RFB (VNC) protocol, whereas Tight uses version 3.7 (better compression).

As firebyrd10 said, RealVNC 4 (currently in beta) will allow you to see the same desktop (display:0). I imagine TightVNC will allow you to do the same soon after (the different developers will implement good ideas from other groups).

You'll be glad to know that TightVNC is already in Knoppix :) It's more or less a case of setting a password for the user, then typing 'vncserver' to start it up (man vncserver for switches).

Anyway thuis post is starting to ramble ;), and I have work to do :( Check out the Real and Tight sites ( www.realvnc.com and www.tightvnc.com)

As for your question about seeing your students' desktop, what OS will your students be running (I think debian/Knoppix,)?

p.s. KDE's Desktop sharing is "cross platform" - i.e. from my windows box I've been able to see my KDE desktop and vice versa. VNC (and its variants) are designed to be closs platform - a viewer does not care what platform the server is on and vice versa.

Oh! vncserver and vncviewer are already in KNOPPIX? OK, that's good to know. I just apt-get installed tightvncserver and xvncviewer (which came up in apt-cache search vnc) on two of my hdinstalls last night to play with vnc. Well, now I don't have to install anything on my 25 other PCs in the LAN!

BTW, I use KNOPPIX and my students use KNOPPIX, so cross-platform is nice but not an issue.

Thanx,
    AJG

AJ, from your post and your avatar, it sounds like you may be just the person to ask about chess variants. I've been playing Tori Shogi on Steve Evans' Shogi Variants program for a while, and long ago discovered how limited its play logic is (interface is good, though). Generally, I can capture all pieces and mate without dropping or promoting any cranes or falcons in 5 minutes or less. Any ideas?

Sorry for the hijack, but it seemed a great opportunity. Just step over me if you want - I won't mind. And if you prefer to post a reply in the lounge, I'll look there too.. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by A. Jorge Garcia
    Oh! vncserver and vncviewer are already in KNOPPIX? OK, that's good to know. I just apt-get installed tightvncserver and xvncviewer (which came up in apt-cache search vnc) on two of my hdinstalls last night to play with vnc. Well, now I don't have to install anything on my 25 other PCs in the LAN!

BTW, I use KNOPPIX and my students use KNOPPIX, so cross-platform is nice but not an issue.

Thanx,
    AJG
    How do your students start up Knoppix? CD/HDD? If CD, is it custom?

If your students are using the standard CD, then you are best to use KDE desktop sharing (actually it's your only option). Your students will have to start the server (using the 'Desktop Sharing' item in the menu) and will then have to tell you the password (and possibily their IP address) either by e-mail or vocally. Your students will also be able to decide if you can control their desktop or not (by default you can only view the desktop).

Voila, HTH.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast