First, I know of the Apt-get FAQ, and have read it, all through it, and still, as a fledgling in the Linux World, have a question...

Being new to this apt-get and KNOWING that thousands of programs exist out their, how do you find them?

e.g. I want to find Screen Savers? All that comes with Knoppix, even after a HD Install, is RANDOM, and BLANK SCREEN - Now Random would be nice, if only it had more to choose from than itself and a Blank Screen. Blank Screen is nice, but, I come from the world of Windoze, and your personality is strongly based on the kind of SCREEN SAVER you have running...

How does one FIND something to apt-get? I usually post here, and someone says: "just apt-get xxxxxxx" -=- Which is all well and good, but, not at all self sufficient. Rickenbachurus [sp] not making bad blood here, but, when you have millions of "packages", software, programs, utilities, games, etc... to choose from, how does one find something. I've tried google, and i've tried FreshMeat, but, I easily got overwhelmed with screens and screens of programs that seemed to not have anything to do with the querry I asked for. "screen savers" "linux" "download" - and I got windows, unix, PC, laptop, servers, etc... and games, arcade, gameboy, etc... Of the more than 1900 entries, I found only one "screen saver", and it was lame. Even if I did find a screen saver, how does that translate to apt-get ????

A simple GUI to view what IS out their to apt-get ??? That would be nice, even a text file to view, so you can SEE and decide what you want, then apt-get it....

Thanks for any input...
Cuddles