PDA

View Full Version : Any way to customize 1280x960i resolution and 640x480 tty?



IsaacKuo
05-12-2004, 10:24 PM
I'm using an HDTV display which is extremely picky about the horizontal/vertical scan rates it can accept. I've figured out how to configure a Debian style hard drive install to deal with this:

1) I edited /etc/X11/XF86config-4 by removing all resolution settings except for my custom 1280x960 interlaced timings.

and

2) I edited /etc/lilo.conf by changing the vga=XXX line to vga=769. I then ran "lilo" to install the change.

The result is that X comes up in 1280x960i, while the bootup messages and other TTYs are all 640x480. Success!

But for various reasons, I want to get into remastering Knoppix, and I'm wondering if it's possible to customize Knoppix in a similar way. I know editing lilo.conf will have no effect, and I expect editing XF86config-4 won't work either.

Any ideas? I'm a complete Knoppix remaster newbie. Thanks! :D

IsaacKuo
05-17-2004, 02:51 PM
Anyone? Anyone? Oh well, I'm taking the plunge and will report if I figure anything out. Here's more background info to my situation:

My goal is to remove the hard drive from my main HTPC/workstation. This means my powerful computer is the diskless client, while my weaker computer is the file server. After looking at tons and tons of complicated network boot resources on the Internet, I've finally settled on a solution:

I'm going to customize from clusterKnoppix, running off of CD image. For my situation this looks like the easiest solution.

Therefore, I need to know how Knoppix terminal server creates the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file, rather than how Knoppix itself creates the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file. I suspect these are one and the same, but if not it's the former I really care about. My clusterKnoppix server is attached to a normal VGA monitor, so it can take a normal resolution. It's the diskless client which need 1280x960i resolution.

Thanks for any help/suggestions!