PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix as a Hub/Router/Switch



shockerspaz
05-14-2004, 04:45 AM
Hey guys,

I'm new to this forum (or any forum for that matter :) ).
I would like to customize Knoppix to be used as a Switch or a Hub or a Router on a network with 4 subnets.
I dont need any security (other than the fact that Im trying to isolate 4 subnets :wink: ) however I do want to make it "modular" (I was thinking of using a floppy to save system/network configurations and to have Knoppix "look" for that floppy on boot)

I would appreciate any input or suggestions or advice or tips as I've never tried anything like this before.

Thanks

user unknown
05-14-2004, 06:17 AM
I guess for making a hub or switch for 4 subnets out of your linux-box, you need 4 network-cards.
You may get a small swtich for less money, especially less money for the power when running.

If there are 4 different subnets, you want to connect, you will need a router.
There are hardware-routers too, but more expensive than a switch.

I'm not sure, whether the promisque-mode of an eth-card may be used for switching/ routing.

Perhaps you just need a proxy?

shockerspaz
05-14-2004, 01:25 PM
I was thinking of using Masqurade (NAT for Linux).
sound right?

PROhan
06-07-2004, 07:55 AM
yeah masquerade would be the thing to use... im suprised no one has done this yet. Be advised though there are distros like clarkconnect that do what you want (they do require a HD though)

shockerspaz
06-07-2004, 12:03 PM
yeah masquerade would be the thing to use... im suprised no one has done this yet. Be advised though there are distros like clarkconnect that do what you want (they do require a HD though)

Thanks (PROhan) for the info on clarkconnect, never heard of it before...

ktheking
06-08-2004, 09:18 PM
or maybe on one of these livecd's ???
http://www.frozentech.com/content/livecd.php

Mustang64
06-08-2004, 09:46 PM
Why not try Smooth Wall? It's a Linux based firewall that works well for me...

:?