View Full Version : Cannot connect to the internet with V3.4
basshit
06-15-2004, 01:13 PM
Stats:
Main Circuit Board
ASUSTek Computer Inc. P4P8X Rev 1.xx
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
Communications
3Com Gigabit LOM (3C940)
Operating System
Windows XP Professional
Processor
2.40 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
8 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache
Memory Modules
1024 Megabytes Installed Memory
Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
tearinghairout
06-16-2004, 12:50 PM
Any more info. would be appreciated! Thanks!
How are you expecting to connect to the internet?
Dial up? Internal modem? external modem?
USB ADSL?
Via network and some sort of router/gateway/nat thingy?
Flock of carrier pigeons? (Don't laugh, it's been done http://www.blug.linux.no/rfc1149/)
pulsar
07-06-2004, 11:32 PM
For your broadcom gigabit netcard you need the sk98lin driver wich is included in knoppix.
So in a root terminal type "insmod sk98lin" to load the driver. Then conf. the networkcard via the penguin icon next to the K-icon. Or in the terminal "netcardconfig".
I have a Gigabyte GA-8IG1000 Pro mobo and Knoppix wouldn't recognize the built-in NIC.
It was recognized as a Marvell® Yukon™ Gigabit Ethernet card by XP so I used that to try and shoot the bug. "Buzz, thank you for playing."
"insmod sk98lin" and "netcardconfig" solved the problem - thanks.
I realize I'm looking a gift horse in the mouth but, I'd rather learn how to fish than be given a fish. Marvell didn't offer any solutions on their website; nor did Gigabyte. I didn't find anything elsewhere on the web. How'd you figure this out?!
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2 Copyright © 2026 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.