PDA

View Full Version : Remastering just got easier?



mzilikazi
07-27-2004, 01:56 PM
From the mailing list:


Am Sonntag, 25. Juli 2004 18:02 schrieb mammique:
> Hi,
>
> is there a way to create a minimal knoppix system (to compress into a
> cloop) using debootstrap & knoppix debs :

Yes,

since yesterday ;-) there is:

It is still experimental and won't install X:

Second: I won't take any warranty for any damage caused by this scripts. Use
them with caution on your own risk.

- Download all files in http://debian.tu-bs.de/knoppix/debian/knoppify/
- Extract the templates in the same dir
- Make a new partition say /dev/hda8 (at least 6 GB should do), mount it to
say mount /dev/hda8 /mnt/hda8 and debootstrap a basic debian to it
(debootstrap sarge /mnt/hda8), run base-config

- Change templates/ files to suit your needs (resolv.conf, fstab,
sources.list)
- Run ./knoppify.sh /mnt/hda8

- Download master.iso from
http://debian.tu-bs.de/knoppix/debian/sarge-live-base/master.iso

- mount -o loop master.iso /mnt
- mkdir /mnt/hda8/KNOPPIX.build/master
- cp -a /mnt/* /mnt/hda8/KNOPPIX.build/master/
- umount /mnt

Now chroot into /mnt/hda8
Do:

/KNOPPIX.build/Knoppix-3.4.mkcompressed /KNOPPIX.build/master

(this are in fact Klaus' scripts)

The command will create /mnt/hda8/KNOPPIX.build/master.iso.

To install X do:

apt-get install x-window-system-core xsession-initscript-knoppix
xsession-knoppix rxvt-beta locales twm

useradd knoppix

(remove passwords from /etc/shadow again, or leave it: your decision)

Change /etc/X11/Xsession.d/45xsession to include:

set -x
set +e

(You could also install the knoppix specific profile files)

as first commands to turn off "quit on error" and turn on debugging which you
can see in /home/knoppix/.xsession-errors.

I did this sucessfully this night. ;-)

We (me and Danix.cz developers) hope that we can create modules and scripts
for X as well to make setup of your own basic live CD even easier.

Also of course there are still scripts missing to create the miniroot.

cu

Fabian

PS: To unknoppify the system for an installation or similar, just do:

cp -af /etc/inittab.debian /etc/inittab

done.

Very worthwhile to read the entire thread:
http://mailman.linuxtag.org/pipermail/debian-knoppix/2004-July/005534.html

It's promising although I've not yet had a chance to try it myself. Please post with any results if you do. :)

victoria
03-14-2005, 10:11 PM
As a newbie, it seams to me a bit sketchy.
I would love to have a detailed HOWTO with this topic (knoppix from scratch) so I could experiment building not remastering.
The frustration is running high when gurus are chating Linux and newbies don't understand their slang...

knopx4me
03-16-2005, 12:42 PM
mzilikazi

Great news. I will try it.

victoria
03-16-2005, 10:14 PM
I have a fresh sarge installed and for the start I would like to decrypt:


mount /dev/hda8 /mnt/hda8 and debootstrap a basic debian to it (debootstrap sarge /mnt/hda8), run base-config

Sarge doesn't have debootstrap, so how can I advance from here? The point is to knoppify whatever sarge, not to use the pre-knoppified master like sugested:


- Download master.iso from
http://debian.tu-bs.de/knoppix/debian/sarge-live-base/master.iso

I would appreciate any helpful comment.
V.