View Full Version : default config scans on startup
Harry Kuhman
08-18-2004, 01:25 PM
Is there any reason why Knoppix can't default to do the myconfig=scan or myconf=scan (or config=scan) and even the home=scan cheat codes at sart-up? This should allow one to make configuration changes and later boot Knoppix from CD without having to enter the cheat code every time. Of course, it might on occasion be nice to be able to bypass such a default, but this could be done by the cheat codes, perhaps a simple "config= ".
Am I missing some reason why config files should take extra effort to use?
j.drake
08-18-2004, 04:00 PM
Sounds like a good idea. I can see two potential problems.
1. A newbie messes around with Knoppix, setting up a saved configuration, possibly even a corrupt one, and abandons her efforts. Months later, she d/ls a new version that makes a number of compatibility changes, pops the CD in, expecting it to load defaults, but it doesn't, and she can't diagnose the problem because she's forgotten about the configuration file tucked away somewhere. Some people might feel that a person who pops in a stock CD has a right to expect that it will load with all of its defaults.
2. You would have to find some way for Knoppix to recognize that the cheatcode "myconf=" always trumps the built in scan.
For the convenience, I could certainly live with both of these contingencies.
jd
Harry Kuhman
11-05-2004, 08:14 PM
An additional thought on this subject, triggered by something someone else asked in a different forum:
I would still like to see Knoppix default to searching everywhere for a persistant home directory. However, at the very least, would it not be reasonable to assume if there was a floppy or a USB device found with a persistant home directory then that should be used? OK, I can see how, just to play safe, Some people might feel that a person who pops in a stock CD has a right to expect that it will load with all of its defaults. But if someone deliberately plugs in a floppy or a USB thumb drive, then they should certainly not claim that they don't know why Knoppix finds it. Those with the home directory on the hard drive might still need to use a cheat code, but someone with a home directory on a thumb drive could just boot into Knoppix and their defaults without catching the boot process at exactly the right time and typing something in. And they could boot into the default configuration just by removing the USB drive and rebooting. Any flaw in this argument? Any idea how we get it done?
Robert A.
02-02-2005, 06:59 PM
I would also like to see default knoppix home-scan myconfig=scan at boot.
Since I regularly use Windows, as sole user, I'm not used to waiting for a boot message. My habit is to get up and do something while the system takes forever to boot. Thus, I habitually miss the boot prompt in Knoppix. My home and config are stored in a small FAT32 partition on the hard drive (I could use a USB stick, if necessary). I use the same partition to place copies of items that I want to view with Knoppix Konqueror or Mozilla, without the need to find files elsewhere.
If someone is trying Knoppix for the first time, there will not be an existing home or config. So, how could it hurt to scan for them? When they are not found, it will not bomb Knoppix, will it? And, if there is an existing home and config from another user on the system, the only way it would be harmful would be if the other user left some private information - but that would apply to any file on the computer.
Why I use Knoppix (occasionally): I want to verify that my web site and True Type fonts will work in Linux. Also, I am told that certain peculiarities or the Safari (Mac OS-X) web browser can be seen in Konqueror.
Elsewhere on this forum, on the same topic, I read about an isolinux hex editor, for possibly changing the iso (on hard drive) and re-burning. I have not tried it. But if it works, that would be an adequate solution.
Fabianx
02-05-2005, 01:51 PM
I would also like to see default knoppix home-scan myconfig=scan at boot.
[...]
Elsewhere on this forum, on the same topic, I read about an isolinux hex editor, for possibly changing the iso (on hard drive) and re-burning. I have not tried it. But if it works, that would be an adequate solution.
Hi,
the reason we don't have it is mostly: security
Imagine somone "forgets" his usb stick in the drive, which happens to have some bad commands in the knoppix.sh file, as he uses it to clean up HDs.
Its just we don't want virus' to use this possible security risk.
But everything will be better in next Knoppix versions ;-) ...
isocustomize is indeed a way, though it will never be in the mainstream version of cdutils.
cu
Fabian
Robert A.
02-07-2005, 03:40 PM
Ah, I can understand the security issue. By I myself have no problem there (sole user of laptop computer), and I do not do any work that needs privacy protection. In fact, my work is all on the Internet in public view.
Using only easy to find, free software, I have been able to do this:
(1) Split the Knoppix ISO file into 14 units of 50Mb or less, so that I don't choke RAM.
(2) Using a hex editor, edit a split file (kkeping same number of bytes). So far, I scanned for "######" and substituted a few characters, as a test.
(3) Reassemble the split, producing an ISO file the same size as the original, but with some characters changed.
(4) ISO-record the changed file to CD, producing a bootable CD that works perfectly. My changes do not seem to have injured anything. But my changes were not functional.
So my question is, if I want to insert "Knoppix home=scan myconfig=scan" into the ISO (using above method), where do I put it? Keep in mind that I am a Windows user, not the dumbest guy on the block, but I know nothing about Linux file structure or commands. What I am trying to do is verify that my web site works the same way in Konqueror as in IE, Firefox, Mozilla, etc. So far, there are differences (as well as differences in Safari). The differences are not trivial box-model things. Using Knoppix with Konqueror helps me see things a different way.
lilsirecho
02-07-2005, 08:00 PM
I have managed to change the myconfig=scan to a bootable format using the isolinx.conf changes in the boot directory.
This requires a re-burn through the mkisofs routine.
My system with the myconfig=scan included in the isolinux.conf, which does require a single keybd character entry at boot prompt, permits the myconfig=scan option along with any other desired option( in my case.... toram).
The procedure I utilized did not seem to be sensitive to the size of the .iso. This would seem reasonable since the size of the boot parameters entered at boot time is not restricted...can be quite a number of characters.
It would seem possible to enter the character I use to select boot mode..... automatically at boot prompt .
Perhaps that is what you seek.
Robert A.
02-07-2005, 08:33 PM
I'll try that. I'll also try it (if possible) with whatever character code Linux uses for RETURN(ENTER) after the cheat codes, to see if I can omit the keyboard return. Low priority, obviously.
lilsirecho
02-08-2005, 03:55 AM
Robert .A;
The default LABEL of a single character on the keyboard, the LABEL being the LABEL for the kernel desired and the cheat codes included inserted in the isolinux.conf , operated on with mkisofs and re-burned will permit the auto-boot of your knoppixLiveCD with no entries required by the user and having all the config data and persistent home installed.
I think that is what you desired.... :?:
Robert A.
02-09-2005, 02:05 AM
... Yes. I grasp the mechanics of hex editing, and can get at the necessary individual files from the iso. My only difficulty is "exactly what to type, and where."
I'm not the dumbest Windows user on the planet, but my repertoire mostly consists of (1) click, (2) right-click, and (3) double-click. :?
lilsirecho
02-09-2005, 03:47 AM
Ask and ye shall receive....
The isolinux.conf file is derived from the boot directory of the .iso . Edit: I copied my LiveCD into a file called CD(x) in archlinux desktop: the file is 680+ MB and is edited to make the changes in isolinux.conf.
Open the isolinux.conf file in an editor.
You will find many listings of boot possibilities arranged in groups, LABEL....KERNEL...APPEND.
Each grouping defines a boot set-up.
The APPEND permits the addition of cheat codes in the desired kernel, probably 2.6 in your case.
The first listing is a default, usually a 2.4 kernel is default. This entry can be changed to a single character i.e, ....."\" .
Then mosey down to the LABEL , KERNEL , and APPEND for the 2.6 kernel.
Change the LABEL to the character you selected.
Enter the cheat codes one after the other at the tail end of the APPEND statement.
Check your spelling and verify similarity to the other listings as to spacing and syntax.
Save the modified isolinux.conf file and quit the editor.
You should now have a new .iso file ready for mkisofs.
Mkisofs for Kernel 2.6 follows;
The spacing is important..the symbol * in the listing signifies a "space" and is not part of the command...
mkisofs*-pad*-l*-r*-J*-v*-V*"KNOPPIX"*-no-emul-boot*-boot-load-size*4*-boot-info-table*-b*boot/isolinux/isolinux.bin*-c*boot/isolinux/boot.cat*-hide-rr-moved*-o*/root/knoppix.iso*/root/CD(x)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The reference to knoppix.iso must be your .iso and the /root/CD(X) your file to place the new .iso to be burned.
You may wish to keep a copy of the original .iso before beginning the modification.
Mkisofs will produce the .iso at good speed in a 1500mhz computer. I burn my .iso files in k3b but nero is usable as well.
Best of luck!! I hope I have given you enough detail to complete the mod.
Robert A.
02-10-2005, 12:21 AM
Thanks. I'll try that as soon as I get the opportunity. :D Those instructions are clear enough.
One of my web pages was very popular recently - a couple of places blogged it. But my media coding failed on Linux systems, because it called for software available only on Windows and Mac. It didn't have to fail on Linux, as I now know, and I re-coded the page.
I tried Linux (Mandrake) about a year and half ago, but since it was not self-configuring, I was baffled. I couldn't even get on the Internet. Worse, it was hard to remove, since I don't really need a Lilo-type double boot. But Knoppix really does the job.
Robert A.
02-10-2005, 02:43 PM
Follow-up: I did the edits, as suggested above, and it worked! Now, I can go grab a coffee when switching from Windows to Knoppix (in 5 minutes, as advertised), and when I return, the desktop is just the way I like it :D Thanks!
What I actually did was (1) Split the original, unburned ISO into 50Mb parts. (2) Edited the first part, which has the necessary boot info, in a hex editor. I also lowered the timeout to 30 (didn't have the courage to try 0 or omit the timeout). The number of hashes was adjusted to keep the file size the same (necessary for glueing the parts pack together). (3) Re-assembled the parts, then burned the edited ISO using Alex Feinman's ISO Recorder.
All of the above was one entirely within Windows. For those who didn't know, the Return(Enter) uses different codes in Windows and in Linux, so the hex editor was more sure-fire.
After testing the edited Knoppix, I returned to Windows, removed my Knoppix home and configuration files (zipped and renamed them, so Knoppix couldn't find them), then re-booted the modified Knoppix. The missing home and config didn't seem to hurt the built-in cheat codes home=scan and myconfig=scan. Without the necessary files present, Knoppix simply booted to its original state. Later, then the home and config files were restored, my personalized version worked again.
Robert A.
02-24-2005, 05:16 PM
Another follow-up: I liked the edits so much that I did some more editing. Now, my default will load home and configuration from my hard drive, as above. I also created a cheat code "hd" that will not only load my home and configuration, it will load Knoppix from my Poor Man's Install. So all I have to do is type "hd".
I can lend the CD-ROM to someone who doesn't already have Knoppix and would like to try it. With no codes entered, it looks for the non-existent home and configuration, but does not crash.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2 Copyright © 2026 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.