PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix and Gmail FS - Started the project.



SikNik
09-09-2004, 02:46 AM
I've seen this posting on the forum before, but not in this way. As you are all aware Gmail gives you one gig storage, and GmailFS gives you a way of useing the 1 gig storage as a file system. Now we have devised a plan idea to incooperate gmailfs into knoppix... I have written a half a report on this and contact imformation at This Location (http://www.siknik.com/kgmfs/)
Please take a look we would much appericate it.

p.s. the site is all text it will take no time to load why not look :wink:

thanks for your time!

Ghandalfar
09-09-2004, 11:59 AM
hmm.. I guess I could help. I'd like to see some more specs thou..

SikNik
09-09-2004, 08:36 PM
Well the point of that page is as an introductory of what we want to do.. no real big specs on there.. just to explain the main idea.. after you decide you want to help then we can get into details.. if you would can you please email me so we at least have a way outside of the fourm to contact each other easly. thanks.. ([email protected] btw.. )

probono
09-12-2004, 09:26 PM
I have GmailFS running with Knoppix, but we should ask Google first whether that is an acceptable use of their service.

Also, I must say that it's slowww...

ianeng
09-13-2004, 06:08 PM
I don't know... I read Google's program policy, and the only line which may be against it is that no user can "Modify, adapt, translate, or reverse engineer any portion of the Gmail Service "

I'll contact google and ask...

probono
09-22-2004, 11:45 PM
Can someone please ask Google what they think about GmailFS.

Here is how to make it work from Knoppix Live CD (no HD install needed):


#
# use Gmail as a mountable filesystem with Knoppix
# by probono
# GPL
#

# THIS IS PURELY EXPERIMENTAL SOFTWARE.
# USE IT AT YOUR OWN RISK.


# become root
sudo su

export WORKDIR=$HOME/gmailfs

# FUSE is required, so get, unpack and compile it
wget http://unc.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/avf/fuse-1.3.tar.gz
unp fuse-1.3.tar.gz
cd ./fuse-1.3
./configure
./make
cd ../

# python2.3-dev is required, so get and unpack it
wget http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/p/python2.3/python2.3-dev_2.3.4-11sid_i386.deb
unp -u python2.3-dev_2.3.4-11sid_i386.deb

# now use it
export PYTHONPATH=$WORKDIR/usr/lib/python2.3/:$WORKDIR/fuse-python/

# the FUSE Python bindings are also required
wget http://richard.jones.name/google-hacks/gmail-filesystem/fuse-python.tar.gz
unp fuse-python.tar.gz

#####################################
### HOW TO INSTALL THIS IN KNOPPIX??? - SOLVED!
export PYTHONHOME=$WORKDIR/usr/
ln -s /usr/lib/python2.3/* $WORKDIR/usr/lib/python2.3/
ln -s ../fuse-1.3/include/fuse.h ./
#####################################

#####################################
#### BY HAND CHANGE THE FOLLOWING IN setup.py
# library_dirs=["../lib",],
# to
# library_dirs=["../fuse-1.3/lib",],
#####################################

# compile FUSE Python bindings
python setup.py build # WORKS!!!

# gmailfs
wget http://richard.jones.name/google-hacks/gmail-filesystem/gmailfs.tar.gz
unp gmailfs.tar.gz

export PYTHONPATH=$WORKDIR/fuse-python/build/lib.linux-i686-2.3/:$WORKDIR/libgmail-0.0.8/

insmod ./fuse-1.3/kernel/fuse.o


# SEEMS TO WORK !!!!!!

mkdir -p /mnt/gmail

./fuse-1.3/util/fusermount -n gmailfs -l -c -x /mnt/gmail/ $WORKDIR/gmailfs/gmailfs.py /mnt/gmail username=XXXXX,password=XXXXXXX,fsname=XXXXX &

umount /mnt/gmail

pau1knopp
09-24-2004, 12:52 AM
probono,

this is not working with knoppix 3.4 v5.17.04.

i run the script as root and there is no error output (to the screen anyway).

the /mnt/gmail directory is not created.

what version are you running this script on. looking forward to testing it out.

regards,

paul

pau1knopp
09-24-2004, 01:15 AM
okay pb, did a little sandbox testing with 3.4 v5-17-04

originally i saved your script as mntgmailfs and just did a chmod +x on it and ran it. that produced the results above (no console error message, no /mnt/gmail directory creation).

so i started running each script command by hand (as root)

the script poops out at the

wget http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/p/python2.3/python2.3-dev_2.3.4-11sid_i386.deb

command with this error

i'll try to find another source for the deb package and go from there.

btw, *i think* part of my problem is that you posted the script in the embedded window in the forum. I saved it as text in firefox. when i opened it in vi it is doing the stair step format, and needs to be manually edited. any chance of getting this script in pure text somehow to avoid syntax errors?

regards,

~pau1

probono
09-24-2004, 02:13 AM
hi pau1knopp,

this is not really a script yet, but more a collection of commands to be entered as root on the konsole, step-by-step.

probono

pau1knopp
09-24-2004, 01:05 PM
working my way through it...

got past the error above and now working on the next one.

thanks!

~pau1

zenok
09-24-2004, 06:33 PM
delete

bluefoxicy
09-28-2004, 04:32 PM
Have you considered how radically abusive gmailfs is to gmail's servers?

Gmail doesn't work because Google has 60000 terrabytes of space; it works because projected growth of google cross referenced with projected growth of Gmail users and their account usage is predicted to consistently keep Gmail space usage well below Google's capacity. There's not enough space on google for everyone to have a gig of storage.

I believe that we should make it as difficult as possible to use GmailFS. Because we can't simply stab it to death, we have to make sure anyone wanting to use it needs large enough technical know-how to set it up themselves. This means no Knoppix CDs with GmailFS on them. Hopefully those smart enough to do this themselves won't be braindamaged enough to think they can widely abuse Google and "google can handle it."

I'm seriously going to laugh when Google's search engine becomes slow from all the GmailFS Knoppix CDs that people have their home directories on and are downloading porn to, and Google discontinues Gmail and sues your asses. I suggest official Knoppix not support this project, because it's a legal bomb waiting to happen.

inspirito
10-01-2004, 12:07 AM
Need help

I get some errors while installing. Are gmailFS working in Knoppix 3.6 ?[/b]

probono
10-10-2004, 02:24 PM
There is a far better and easier solution: GMX offers 1GB storage that is accessible via

webdav://mediacenter.gmx.net
(you need a GMX account which is free, http://www.gmx.net)

probono